1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch issues-shifting to reverse

Discussion in 'Technical' started by MattJ, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    Hi fellow TFIians,

Dunno if this is a repost, I have been starting to get this issue while shifting to reverse. Even with clutch being applied completely, there is a grinding noise coming while shifting and it is hard to engage. I have clocked 40k so far and it's been over 2 years since I have taken the car. Any suggestions on what the issue is and how I can resolve this? Is it a clutch or a gear assembly issue? I hope I won't have to shell out a lot for this :(

cheers
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    How are the other gears? Do they also grind or shift smoothly.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I also have similar issue but no grinding noise.I feel the hardness while shifting to reverse and also lever go towards 1st gear while shifting from 2nd to 3rd plus play in the lever.The TASS guy told that the issue related to cable getting loose.Would be going shortly to get it resolved.
  4. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    @gurjinder

Well the grinding noise is only there while shifting to reverse. But shifting to other gears aint fun either. Its quite hard, but manageable.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Sounds like a clutch issue. Have you shown it to TASS?
  6. Kindly ask the ASS Guys to chkout the Clutch/Pressure Plates and the release bearing.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly ,get the gear cable checked if it's fine and whether it is working the way it should be. Only then proceed to the clutch.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    TASS sprayed some WD 40 om the gear linkage. During the process i was told to Keep on shifting all gears.Gears feel better now and getting shifted easily and not getting stuck.According to TASS u can adjust gear cable in Linea. it has to be change if any problem and it comes with whole kit with shifter costing Rs. 8000.
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I am facing the same problem. Shifting to reverse I can hear some grinding noise but it doesn't come all the time. Mostly, only when car is started with the engine cold.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Get ur gear oil checked and also clutch too.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012