1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by savio9923, Feb 19, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Your thinking is correct.

The Palio D has a similar sound and after i got a new genuine FIAT clutch kit installed (including a new bearing) , the noise is still there. I asked the FIAT trained mechanic ( from the Palio days) and he told me it is the synchronisers in the gearbox making a noise not the bearing.

He explained that the clutch bearing noise is similar to two metals grinding with each other, not the usual kat-kat type.

Cheers.
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

There is a kar kar noise when shifting the gear to reverse and most of the times the reveres gear doesn't fall properly.

and lately when i press the clutch, i have felt 2part motion. 3/4th of the way its smooth, and then suddenly it become a bit hard.
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    Try the "wait for 1-2 seconds after pressing clutch pedal & before slotting in reverse" method. The reverse gear shouldn't make any noise whatsoever when you do it this way.

The thing with this method is - when you wait for a couple of seconds after pressing the clutch , the input shaft of the gearbox stops spinning and consequently there is no gear-gear grinding when you slot the gear lever in reverse. As far as possible, i do it this way.

Cheers.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is what I do as well..
    I didn't know the logic behind it but just did it a few times and hasn't failed ever since.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    But if gear Syncs are bad then there should be noise while changing gear or difficult in changing gears.I have non of the issues and gear changing is smooth.The noise can be heard at low RPM in the first gear and goes away when the clutch is pressed.I just dont want to get my gear box opened just for the sake.Is there any other bearing in gear box which can make such noise.
    The thing is I have to hurry up as my Extended Warranty is expiring on 25 march 2013.
  6. deepak1973

deepak1973

Varanasi
    May be your pressure plate has a fault
  7. deepak1973

deepak1973

Varanasi
    Hi Members,My fiat punto multijet emotion has run 42000 kms till now. past few days i m feeling my gear shift is not smooth and is hard and some times makes a currrrrrrr noise at reverse.Pick up is fine and no extra rpms.I have showed to fiat service centre and they told there is a problem in pressure plate and u have to replace it. pressure plate comes with clutch plate.Shall i go ahead and change the pressure plates ? Any sugestions. I dont want to remove the gear box.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    do you know the name of the part ?
    Most TASS folks dont acknowledge the existence of any such part and i dont know what its called or where to look for it.
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    It can be the pressure plate if the rest of the system is working fine. The gearbox will have to removed to install it and once you're in there, get the entire kit changed. Expensive - yes. But atleast you won't have to dismount the gearbox again if the bearing goes bad soon after you have replaced the pressure plate.

Which part. There is the clutch actuator arm sort of thing connected to the CSC. When you press /depress the clutch pedal , it physically moves the clutch to and from the flywheel face. In FIAT parts book it is simply called "Lever".

Cheers.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I monitored closely the noise am getting is a kind of grinding noise and not kat kat.Will try to post a audio file today.