1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

clutch beginning to harden slowly

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 18, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Recently i observered that the clutch on my 2 yr old punto is hardening.
    I've not found any sort of slipping as yet and the gear changes are smooth but when i took it to TASS he confirmed that it is slowly hardnening (nothing to worry as of now).
    TASS also told me that due to operational wear and tear it has happened like this.
    I've done roughly 28000kms. Now my concern is whether i can ask for a replacement under warranty?

Or is there anything else i can do to fix the problem?
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    ASS have a special tool by which they measure hardness of paddle.

If hardness reading is near to replacement reading you are entitled to get clutch replacement in warrantee term.

Hard clutch is covered in warrantee. Only burnt clutch due to riding on clutch paddle is not covered for warrantee replacement.

I had got free clutch replaced of my former 75 HP GP.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    thanks for the quick response.. What is the difference between hard clutch and burnt clutch?
    Do you have any sort of pics that I can match with my status and fight for warranty?

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Also if you could provide the hardness reading parameters it would help me a lot..
    Any rough estimate would be good as well. how they check it..
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Reading of clutch hardness means how much force you require to press paddle fully.

They install sensor on clutch paddle same we put shoe in our foot.
    Small machine with LCD screen is coonected to wire of sensor.

& they press clutch paddle at ease as they are driving the car.
    when clutch is pressed fully sensor sends signal to machine. & machine shows
    pressure reading in kg/inch.

Range of smooth clutch paddle is mentioned in workshop mannual.

I am not 100% sure. But generally force of clutch pressing should not exceed 12kg/inch.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    ok going by this if it exceeds 12kg/inch (just as example) then it is because of hardening of clutch (to be replaced under warranty) .
    so how does a burnt clutch feel then?
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you have not habbit to riding on clutch paddle while driving then there is no question of burnt clutch.

I have seen one owner of linea in my city who replace clutch assly at each month due to habbit of riding on clutch paddle while driving.

Even your hardness reading is not in replacement range,still you can get replacement for your satisfaction. But it is discrinition of dealer & depends upon relations with ASS centre.
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    ok will take a look at it.. thanks for you're help...
    I dont have the habbit of riding the clutch..
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Burning smell & hot spots on clutch plate are signs of burnt clutch
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    ok in that case I've not felt anything like that.. so looks like its a case of hardening...
    Thanks for you're help
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    What constitutes as "Clutch Riding"?
    I noticed today that as I was wearing bigger shoes, I wasn't able to use the dead pedal and was covering the clutch pedal instead. A little bit of clutch gets pressed UN-intentionally. Also, at signals; instead of braking or changing gears; I just ride the clutch and if there is no need to stop, I just release it and continue. Is this wrong?