1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"Clunk" noise when i depress the clutch

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Mar 28, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Hi all,

Whenever i depress the clutch to change the gear i hear a mild "clunk" noise from beneath the engine compartment.
    I thought it could be the clutch engaging sound but my gut feeling does not say so.

What I've noticed is i hear this sound 7/10 times and it does not matter if I'm doing up shifts or down shifts if i depress the clutch I hear this noise.
    I've done about 30k on the odo and there seems to nothing wrong with the way the the clutch works.
    I'm not facing any sort of clutch slip nor do i hear the engine roar to insane rpms when i disengage the clutch ..
    Everything is calm and settled but for this noise.

Should I worry about this?

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Forgot to mention...
    My punto is a Dec '09 model
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Your clutch is making chirping noise. This is due to loose parts of pressure plate or excessive play in clutch assemby. This noise is more noticable while shifting 2nd to 3rd gear.

If your clutch is giving jerk while shifting gears especially 2nd to 3rd then ask clutch assly in warrantee claim.

If you have smooth & jerk-free gearshift then you can wait for next few thousand km.

Iam also getting this noise & jerk from my 90 HP clocked only 10000 km
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

When you say jerk do you mean a tendency of the car
    To leap forward as though the Turbo has just kicked in, then no

I don't feel any such thing. ..
    Its a mild click when I depress the clutch
    I think I can reproduce that sound even when engine is off. .
    Let me try that and upload am audio clip
  4. clash81

clash81 Regolare

I do hear this mild click sound whenever i change gears. For me this problem ( if i can call it one) cropped before i even touched 5k on the odo, so during the very first check-up/service i raised the issue and it subsided for a while. If my memory is correct, the SA told me about tightening some gear cables.

But the click sound is back in force and it is persisting even after my 15k service. I have not been bothering about it much. I really dont know if i need to bother about this.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

get the slave cylinder bleed it might help and check if the pipe carrying fluid from master to slave cylinder is touching engine when depressing clutch
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012