1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ciao Fiat lovers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gibson_antony, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hi Everybody,

I have been a follower of automotive forums and discussions for sometime now though never an actual member of any. I have to hand it down to Fiat lovers on the net for aligning my recent decision to buy a new car. I am proud owner of a FIAT Grande Punto 90 HP. And I never really understood the delirium of the many fiat fans everywhere till i got to own one. It was quiet an eye opener.

I had initially logically concluded that the Suzuki swift ZDI was the play it safe car and booked it by paying an initial amount of 25K only to have it delivered after 4 months. Down the line as i was waiting for my Swift, I walked down a TATA FIAT(Concorde Motors, Ambattur, Chennai) showroom and was greeted by a FIAT executive and he just offered me a test drive on the 75HP Fiat emotion punto. I was astounded by its ride quality and dynamics and then he casually followed it up by telling me that i haven't truly experienced what FIAT is all about till i ride the 90 HP . I was finicky and confused now as to what I had to decide upon regarding my decision of a new car. People I tell you there wasn't a forum i didn't visit . I called people who owned fiats so as to understand all the negatives that were being conferred on the FIAT cars of yore. But they truly helped me re affirming my faith in the italian masterpiece and at the end it was a decision i had to make , to follow my head or my heart.. .. a few days later Mr Arun from FIAT (concorde Motors Ambattur .Chennai) came with a sparkling Bossa White Fiat Grande Punto 90 HP test vehicle and I had the ride of my life. Well rest as they tell is history and my heart was bowled over by this italian beauty. I went and paid an initial amount. Cancelled my Swift ZDI and in a few weeks was a happy owner of a Beautiful Tuscan Wine Punto that till date sets my heart racing whether I am behind its wheels or staring at her. I have done so far 1700 Kms to date and I can rest assure anybody looking to buy a new car, that this is simply one of the most best cars in the market. Pity Fiat has not marketed it the same way a la other OEM's but I can tell you this that after me , there has been a rain of Grande punto's simply in the last few weeks while i was at the Showroom.

A little about me now. I was born in the middle East in a small Island nation called Bahrain. way before it came to be known as a F1 destination. My automotive roots start there to tell you the truth. My dad was in the automotive business there. we had a tyre dealership and a automotive service equipped workshop. So i grew beneath a flurry of models my dad brought home of which i recall were my favoutites , An old Alfa Romeo (Now FIAT Owned I didn't know i had early fiat roots ;-)) Giulia 1600 , A 1977 Nissan Datsun 140J (my Dad's love), a w126 model mercedes 280s which was one of the last carburetted S class mercedes(It rode like a magic carpet).. somewhere down the line there was the occasional Toyota corona and the cresida and the powerful Crown...down the years , I came down to India in the year 2001 and I did my university in Chennai at the hindustan college of engg, one of the very few institutes that offered Automotive Engineering as a course. I worked with a few Tier 1 Automotive suppliers as a key account engineer.. last being that of Modine, It is a household name in EU and the states for making some of the best cooling systems in the industry. My motorcycle was a CBZ , then i had an Enfield , moved to a Karizma in 2007. My first Car being a Hyundai Getz and till very recently she has been replaced by the Italian belle from FIAT the Grande Punto 90 HP.

Well down the years I have come across various discussions about fiats and automobiles in general . I finally decided I had to become a member Team Fiat to make my Fiat experience complete. How else other than getting to join a community that has been formed out of their sheer passion for this automotive beauty ...One thing i can surely tell I am immensely honored at being given a membership here and would like to thank the moderators for giving me an opportunity to be part of this community.

Thank you all

Happy Motoring

Ciao
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Hola Gibson! (Spanish, you know :D)

Welcome to TFI and enjoy your stay here! I too aspire to become an automobile engineer!

Do post pics of your Italian beauty.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. Thank you Prakhar. I have posted a few pics now. But rest assured i will put up many in the days to follow. Prakhar one thing I can tell you safely is you are never wrond when you follow your passion and i wish you the best in your endeavour to become an automobile engineer.
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    Thank you very much for your warm wishes sir!
  5. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Welcome to the Forum Gibson!!! Start sharing your experience.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Gibson!

Quite an interesting collection of cars you've experienced. The W126 still looks the real TANK. What cars like Mercedes were all about.

Cheers
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Welcome Gibson!! Are into guitaring buddy?? Your name "Gibson" co-incidently happends to also be a reputed guitar manufacturing company from the U.S :-D
  8. Hi Gibson,

Welcome aboard.

Good to have an automobile engineer in our team..... :)
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Gibsin Antony A warm and a hearty welcome to you and your 90HP.
    Do write us more in the ownership review section
  10. Thanks Srini , I will Soon enough :)

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

@ Gurjinder

Thanks, Yes the w126 was a class apart. Just a little bit of trivia, the Mercedes which we had was also of a similar shade wine red... :)

@ Pioneeraaron

Thank you, Yes Gibson is a very popular Guitar brand. and I do love guitars though i am yet to learn how to play one :)

@romsi rk

Thank you.. It is indeed a pleasure to be among your midst. :)

@tony

Thanks Tony , I will soon put a write up on my experiences till date . It has been an absolute delight. And today I crossed the 2000 KM mark :)