1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – 3 yr and 4th service update

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by anoop, Jun 16, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

@gops - no concerns at all, bro. Your best bet will be Ultimate Detailerz and get a session of detailing done - that will take care of all the swirl marks and then, you can keep her in top condition by doing regular waxing and detailing.
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

Visiting this thread after almost 5 months - Jai celebrated his first birth day few days back.

It was time for the annual visit to see the doc to make sure that he is all hale and hearty and today we went to the Prerana Clinic. Surendra did an inspection and noted down my complaints (the door ajar warning was coming on intermittently - culprit is a loose contact in the door contact switch) and I handed over Jai for the detailed checkup.
    He was ready by 4PM and when I went to collect him, he was ready - all tip top and shiny. Surendra showed me all the parts they changed and gave me detailed information about the bill and the works done, and within minutes, I paid the bill (5860 INR - Wheel balancing was charged INR 350 and another INR 100 odd for the weights, My right front tyre was running on air after a puncture was fixed - they emptied the air and refilled it with nitrogen FOC) - all smooth and easy.

I saw that there is some smudge marks on the paint at one place - before I drove off, I asked Surendra for some cotton waste to wipe it clean - I was on no way prepared for what happened next. Surendra called manjunath (he seems to be the in charge of the cleaning section) and asked him to take the car and me to the cleaning section and do a through cleaning again. The car was moved to the cleaning bay and 2 guys started working on the car immediately - they did a through job of cleaning all the smudge marks and did a whole wipe down and then one guy cleaned all the glasses again. Then manjunath did one more round of interior cleaning.

After he checked and made sure that everything was done well, started the car to drive to the delivery section - then he noticed that my rear windshield have lot of glue marks on it (the aftermath of DIY sun-film removal - I cleaned 4 windows, but left the windshield for another day). He said if I can wait for 2 minutes, he can clean it! I agreed and he started working on it himself and he cleaned up all the glue marks (there were LOT of glue marks) and cleaned the rear windshield from inside and outside. I was really floored by the attention they paid and the effort they took to make sure that I am happy!

Another feather in the cap of Prerana - one more totally satisfied guy. Kudos to Manjunath for going the extra mile to keep the customer happy, and kudos to Surendra for a job well done.
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
    3 people like this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to see Prerana also doing nice servicing.
    I heard, apart from Aadya, Prerana is on the list to open Fiat exclusive sales and service centers.
  4. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Prerana is opening exclusive sales and service center named VECTO just 1.5 KM away from the Kudlu gate service center towards electronic city and it will be open in the middle of March 2013. KHT comes with Fiat Caffe in Domlur near the Domlur bridge towards koramangala.
    1 person likes this.
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

This thread have gone dormant, thanks to lazy me :A

I have always wondered how people have managed to achieve superb fuel efficiency of above 25 kmpl, but not any more. Till last weekend, the best I have achieved was about 22 kmpl during a Bangalore-Kerala drive.
    Last Saturday, I was driving down to Chennai from Bangalore. I started at 5 AM and the roads where relatively empty. I was determined to see how much I can stretch one liter of diesel so I drove at a snail peace of 80~90, occasionally touching 100 (I know I know, what a criminal waste of a good highway, if you are just crawling at 90 when the road is empty and inviting). I set my trip meter at Bommanahalli junction and the average I got when I reached Chennai outskirts (Virugambakkam flyover) was a staggering 27.5 kmpl. Not even in my wildest dreams, I thought of seeing this average on my MID.
    On the way back, I started back by 2 pm and drove between 90~120. This time, I got 23.7 kmpl (From virugambakkam bridge till Kodichikkanahalli) – not bad, and a much better trade off than the previous run.

On other news, I did wheel alignment and balancing from Madhu's. they have got a new RoadForce machine for wheel balancing - in this machine, each tyre will be subjected to real life road pressure scenarios and based on the output, the machine will tell you the exact rotation sequence for minimal pull.

When all the wheels were removed, I noticed that one of my front tyre was having uneven wear on inner side. The road force machine promptly flagged this tyre as having high stress. The machine will give you option to remove and remount the tyre on the rim, after measuring the rim run outs, so that the rim and tyre matches exactly and the stress on tyre is minimal.
    This tyre was showing high values even after the machine suggested remount, so we decided to put this tyre as spare and use my spare tyre instead. As per the technicians at Madhus, the tyre have some manufacturing defect and that is why it is having so much stress on some points and having uneven wear pattern. One other tyre was also showing some uneven wear, but a remount after matching the tyre and rim as per the suggestion of the machine reduced the stress to minimal.

As always, the services were top notch. I met a fellow gearhead member who came to get alloys and new tyres for his ride. After the alignment, balancing, rotation and nitrogen top up, the bill came up to 700 INR, including some discount.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    HI Anoop good to see you back after loooonngggggg :). That's an awesome mileage you got & really appreciate your patience in keeping the speed steady in such an empty stretch. Good to see new technologies (at least to me) in balancing & alignment.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Great review about Madhus. I never visited there, next alignment from Madhus, even I need to take a day off. I know on weekends, its too crowded.
    1 person likes this.
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

You can call them up and can go there on Saturday mornings - they are not much crowded at around 10~11 AM.

I need the help of you guys to decide on two things which are in my mind now:

1: To be or not to be.
    I am not much in favor of putting aftermarket stickers on my cars – in fact, the only stickers I like to put on my vehicles are club stickers, but after seeing @theblack’s Abarth stickered Punto, I am in a deep dilemma – To Abarth or not to Abarth. One side, I do not want to flaunt something which is not really there in my car, but on the other hand, the car looks so beautiful with the stickers, I really want to have a go. If my car was Black, I would have given in to the temptation by now, but since my car is TW, I am not really convinced that the car will look as stunning as theblack’s beauty.
    What do you guys think? Do you think Tuscan wine can carry the abarth stickers beautifully? I am inclined towards white abarth vinyl like Raj29 have got, but on the windshield, I would get the huge abarth sticker like theblack.

2: Let there be light:
    I am not at all satisfied by the headlight of Punto – I upgraded my headlight to Osram NB+ and though they are much better than the stock lights, I want more. I do not want to put HID without projectors, and do not really favor the look of projectors, so I am not much inclined to upgrade \ modify my headlights. The second option is to add a pair of driving lights and that is where I am heading now. My first and obvious choice is hella (either 500FF\700FF or 3003) but the cash cow is going through a perennial lean phase, so I will not be able to afford any of them. (I read some posts that you do get Hella 500FF for INR 3750 at some shops in JC Road, but I am not sure about the authenticity of them). My next option is to go for Neolite or Autopal (I do not think I can afford brands like Hella, LightForce, KC etc, and I am not sure if I can get my hands on Bosch driving lights here) and to upgrade the bulb to 100 W if required. Do any of us have a set up like this already on a Punto Linea and if it is there, how much was the wallet factor and how easy \ difficult was the whole implementation? Any details will be helpful.
  9. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Regarding Abarth stickers, so many member has gone with it, so if you like you can go ahead, White sticker should look good on your car.

On light, I would say leave it as it is for now. The OE set-up, with Nb+, is more than sufficient in city, on low beam.
    Even on highways, high beam is decent.
    Go with HID and projectors, when money permits.
    1 person likes this.
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Ravi: Thanks for the inputs :)

I do not want to put projectors in my headlight - I know I am not being rational, but some how, I am not really comfortable with the projector looks. If I can take time and save enough cash, I will get a Bosch Compact 100 if possible, or will go with Hella.

I forgot to mention in my post - My requirment are for highway night drives - I agree that NB+ high beam is decent, but I want more than what the NB+ can offer :(
    For city drives, NB+ on low beam is excellent.