1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – 3 yr and 4th service update

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by anoop, Jun 16, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

Thanks, I saw it now. My bad.
    I was thinking that Focal polyglass will be more costly - now, this is a pleasant surprise.
  2. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Yes , this guy from whom I got my ICE done, offers the best prices and also best after sales service. IMHO. Four of my friends have got their ICE done from him. They are all very satisfied. Few other friends who got theirs installed at other well known installers agrees that he offers the way better prices!. Although I knew him from sometime now, I did ask lot of other Accessories shops in Bangalore before finalizing. I also went to some installer who have been recommended on TXXX-BHP also here at Team Fiat but found their rate to be a bit on the higher side ! You can also go have a word with him if you want. His name is Anoop (Glamor Car) - 9886123347. You can give him my reference. He also stocks high end Arc Audio , Rockford (Power/Punch) Amps.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Thanks a lot - i will sure shop around, and will check with Anoop.
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

Alpine CDA 117, Rainbow F3 Kick and Belden - My GP have got music :)

After much deliberation, thinking and re-thinking, I started my ICE journey.

Some background notes: though i am not well versed with high end audio and I am not an audiophile, I enjoy good music. For me, the sound should not be over powering and I am not a fan of bright music either. When I had to pick up ICE for my Vista, I was severly constrained by budget and had to compromise with a kenny HU and pair of kenny 6X12 for rear parcel tray and a pair of Pio 6 inch for the front doors. To say the least, I was really disappointed with the sound out come and I decided I will do a much better ICE next time.

I read about the JBL HU in Team bhp and I was sure that that is the HU I want to put in my car. I do not need much features in my HU - I am not a fan of Bluetooth, DVD play back, multicolored options or the dolphins in the display panel. For me, it should be clean, neat and that is it - no fancy swimming dolphins on my HU please.

It was then I got addicted to DIMYA, and my then-carefully-thought-out ice plans went for a toss. I was smitten by the ICE bug, and wanted nothing but Scott Buwalda in my next car. Even before I made my decision to buy the next car, i was trying to procure components for my ICE. I almost closed on a pair of Clarus from HAT, but some personal commitments came unexpectedly and I had to do some other investments which diverted the funds and left me dry for a long time.

Fast forward to Mid 2011 - It was time to book my GP and I was very clear that I do not want a OEM system in my car. The dealership tried to give me a HU as a freebie, which I again declined. though i was looking for a good pair of components, I was kind of sure that I will get the JBL 333 as my HU - Only if I knew how wrong I was ;)

After I got the car, I slowly started building my budget for the ICE - this time, I do not want to rush and compromise. A few auditions and talks with some fellow ICE nuts convinced me that JBL will not do justice to me. After all, as many reasoned, HU is the heart of the system and any system si only as good as its weakest link. I started my search of HU again, this time - I wanted to get Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X794, which I could get with a little bit of stretching of my budget. Deep inside I always knew I wanted Alpine CDA 117, but I some how convinced me that the Kenny is not bad and might be more VFM than the CDA. And so, it was going to be the X794 - my friends were coming down from US and I wanted to order the HU so that they can bring it with them. I opened my Chrome, went to amazon and almost clicked on buying it - and then i threw all the caution to the wind and brought myself a CDA 117. I could not believe that I really did buy it, but with a stupid grin on my face, I knew that the carefully laid out good-ice-on-shoestring-budget plans have been blown out of the water.

Now that I have a good HU, I wanted to use the rest of my budget (which in any case, was not much) to get a good pair of component speakers. Once I started hunting, i realized that it is better I wait and add a bit more budget and get a good pair of components. Once I manage dto get the funds, I was back again, auditioning and comparing different models - my last list were -Focal polyglass VB 165, Illusion Electra EL 6.1, Rainbow Titans, DLS C6A, Digital Design CS 6.5 and Morel Maximo. I was leaning heavily towards the Ployglass, when our Phew paaji posted that he is looking for a new home for his Rainbow F3 kick. Couple of PMs later, I realized that I have ordered them the kicks ;)

Once I had the HU and speakers, I did not want to compromise on wiring - I do not want that cheap transparent wire the installers use even coming near my car. My first choice was DAC cables, but wanted to get some thing better - I considered Belden, Mogami, chord, van den hul, dac and shok and chose Belden since the one I wanted (Belden 8473 - 14 AWG, Tinned Copper) was easily available here.

The installation was done at Evo, and the work was carried out well. I am still tuning my system, but the initial impressions are, the F3 Kick really kicks. I have not put an amp, so I am not really making the speakers sing or kick but to say the least, I am happy that I did wait and got what I want.

I also upgraded the headlights to Osram NB+. I am running Osram NB in my bikes and know what an improvement they are over the stock, and I did not want to go for high wattage bulbs. The throw and the pattern of the beam is good and the illumination is much better than my stock bulbs.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

How clean is a clean glass?

I regularly clean my windshield with Collin and water (once in a week) and wipe down with MF and tissue papers, so i frankly did not had much expectation when I decided to clay my windshield.

After reading about many people experiences about claying the windshield, I ordered for a single clay bar by Meguiars (80 gms) from BB Impex. the Dussera holidays did play a small havoc and at last, I got the pack in my hands on Friday.

Sunday I decided to try the clay on my windshield and I was really surprised to see the grime the clay picked up from my windshield. Now I can confidently say that my windshield is really clean. I used QD as clay lube and after clay-ing, I cleaned the windshield using a clean MF, followed by soft tissue paper.

the recommended schedule is to clay the windshield once in 6 months, under normal conditions.

Try it - you will not be disappointed.
    Other updates:

This Saturday, while negotiating a pothole in a narrow lane, the bushes on the road side did manage to gift me some scratches. luckily, they are not really deep. I did some first aid with a polish I had in my hand, followed it up by a quick coat of Synwax. I am now looking for a good medium cut polish \ scratch remover to remove the scratch altogether.

Played a bit more with TA settings on my HU, need to understand the parametric equalizer settings and graphic equalizer settings more. Though I love my system, the more I play, the more I feel the need for an AMP - but an empty purse helps me to keep the reality check ;)
  6. anoop

anoop Superiore

Sos..

A strange problem and need your help to find a solution.
    I usually drive always with AC on, but during rains, my driver side window is fogging from OUTSIDE, almost perpendicular to the ORVM. My guess is, since the ORVM is blocking the airflow on that particular patch, the fogging happens.

Because of the fogging, it is a pain to see the objects in my ORVM - to an extent, it is impossible to make out what I see in my ORVM.

Any remedies? :(
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Try keeping the air mode in heater mode and towards windscreen direction. The side AC vents clears the side windows a bit.
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

Thanks Ravi, but that is what I am doing now. It is a bit of a distraction, especially when you drive in night and in traffic - to keep changing the ac to heater mode and adjust the air flow.

Do you face the same issue?
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    See this will happen if the sunfilm is dark, even mine is dark and in rain, in night, visibility is a problem.
    I normally keep AC on in cold mode. If fog becomes problem, I just switch to heat mode for 1-2 mins. But its manageable, I don't see its big distraction yet to me.
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

hm.. but my sun film is not dark. I will continue with the heat mode remedy till I get some work around :(