1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Child Seat Restraint System - Baby/Child car seat

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Ravi, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check the PDF file attached in first post, and this is available on owner's manual as well.

With car seat belt and latches available on baby seat, you can fasten it properly, the instruction will be given on seat manual.

There are few baby seats available in market, try some good baby shops in your area.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I bought one from MyBaby Store in ORR, Bangalore (Near HSR BDA). Brand is Harry and Honey. You can fit it in the car back seat center. The fitment is by two way. The fitting is using 3 point as well the center hip belt. It fits firm in the seat and my kiddo sleeps nicely in it than anyone carrying him on lap.
    Relativity likes this.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    How did you fit it in the middle?

I got a Graco seat for 14K that has been installed by them in rear facing position using only one seat belt on the rear seat, opposite the driver. There are tethers & latches on the seat that I don't know what to do with. The seat moves a fair bit and they told me all Fiat cars have this problem as the seat belts are very loose. I am confused now. Should I try to install it in the middle? It's a convertible seat for up to 22 kg. The seat belts do feel they don't tighten as they should in some other cars.
  4. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The car seat should never be fitted in centre. I have been using car seat for last 8 months. The car seat does not move when fastened with seat belts. You must be using a booster seat. There are different car seat groups according to child weight and age. Booster seat should not be used with infants.
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Relativity and @mightymaveryk Car seats should never be installed in the middle. Please go through Punto's manual. It clearly says not to fix it using the centre belt. First it doesn't flush fit i'e if you drive on ghat sections the seat will keep tilting making it unsafe. Secondly the centre hip belt doesn't retract like the other belts in case of an collision. That makes the kid very vulnerable to injuries if the car seats belt are not properly fastened. In that case the kid may fly off and hit straight on the dash.

Car seat should always be fixed on one side using normal seat belts and most preferably behind the co passenger seat.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 30, 2014 ---
    @Relativity .The car seat for my daughter is fitted behind the driver seat using the seat belt.We have such an arrangement as the co passenger can always attend to her needs. For us its easier as both me and my wife drive. So irrespective of who is driving the other can attend to our daughter needs. After putting the belt it retratcts back to the tightest postion. In case the same doesn't happen try and pull it back yourself. May be the retraction is not happening in your car.We use a Graco Car Seat which can be used till the kid is around 8 years old. First few years as normal car seat and as the kid out grows it can be used as booster seta as well.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  6. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks, that's a very helpful response. I will check the seat belt in other Punto's. The retraction happens but not enough so that the seat is very tight. The seat belt behind the driver seat does not retract at all, the one behind front passenger retracts but not good enough.

It's not a booster seat but a convertible seat. Rear facing up to the age of 2 years and then forward facing. It has a body and head support suit kind of thing that they didn't install but I read in the manual and figured it. The seat has two very separate slots for the belt to go through. Rear facing and forward facing both have separate slots. Those guys at MomandMe were trying to install rear facing while using the forward slot. I had to tell them how to install it. Then thee is a ball that says it should always be in the Blue zone, never red. It helps you align the seat to your bench properly. But those installers said "no problem sir". I came home and read about it that towels should be inserted under the seat to ensure the ball is in the blue zone.

I hope everybody who buys at stores like these does some research at least. Those guys know nothing.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It's no surprise. I would be surprised if they have done a perfect installation.
    Going back to our cars, I have been using the infant/child car seat since 2011 and never faced any issue with respect to seat belts. And yes, I did not use it in the middle.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Whoever told you that Fiat cars have problems with car seats does not know what he is talking about. I have been using child car seats for several years and I have used it even in my old "FIAT" Palio which was back in 2006. You have to install it using the retractable seat belts and never in the centre like the others have mentioned. I also use it currently in my Linea with no issue's. Just push the seat down and in so that it fits snugly and then retract the seat belt if it is loose. You will have to try it a couple of times to get the hang of it.

I have a similar convertible seat which can be used in different ways as the child grows up in terms of weight. The best thing is to read the seat's user manual inside out and store it in a safe place for future reference because a good child seat will last for years and you will need to read it for making changes to the seat like moving the shoulder belts to higher positions or adjusting the head protection as the child grows.

Nowadays half of the people selling don't know what they are selling and how it is to be used.
    ramjn likes this.