1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chewing Gum on Headlights/Car Surface

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Sumit Jagdale, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sumit Jagdale

Sumit Jagdale

Pune
    While parked outside, someone found it amusing to spread an entire wad of chewing gum all over the headlight of my Punto. I figured window cleaner wasn't really going to work but tried it out anyway. It just makes it worse. I googled it and found a site that suggested I try Zippo fluid. Zippo fluid works wonders. The headlight shows no sign of ever having any chewing gum on it.

I'm glad it was on the headlight and not the paint. Given that this will probably not be a one off situation and I cannot completely rule out some idiot sticking his/her gum on the car, anyone know how to remove gum from a painted surface? Zippo fluid is Naphtha, same stuff they use in dry cleaning clothes. I doubt it would be safe for painted surfaces. Some sites suggest using ice to completely freeze off the gum and it'll just crumble out. Any suggestions/alternatives?
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    use ice, rub ice cubes over chewingum it will become hard, then you can just rub / scrap it out without any marks.
  3. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sumit bro,

chewing gum should not leave marks if been removed gently.

i was laughing literally after reading this,chewing on head lamps.ha ha ha ha.creative fellow whomsoever has done this.

@Phew am coming with hypedant white...let me give your devil eyes some rebel eyes too..he he he he..
  4. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    sad to hear that ...
  5. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Chennai
    I had the same issue with the bubble gums stuck on my door. I used all the methods in vain. I went to the pain shop who used wax compund and a few drops of thinner and magic happenned all gone. Then a coat of rubbing polish and waxing made it look good :)
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Y dont you try diesel coupled with little acetone??
  7. my car tyre had picked up a gum on road and placed on the door!. Removed it using a nail polish remover, easy job and the gum went without a trace. No harm on paint too.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3

@ Varoon
    22-G I will be ready with zippo fluid(thanks to sumit)

@tarun
    Whats sad in it bro
    the fact that it got removed or the fact that someone took the word "creative" to another level :p:D
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Looks like everyone is very much interested in spending money rather than trying the ice cube test.
    feel free to google about it....its proven method.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    no need to google, v trust your word bro ::T::T