1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai - Yercaud route recommendation

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Flywheel, May 9, 2012.

1. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I am planning to drive down to Yercaud from Chennai this weekend and would like to know which would be the best route to travel on based on the road current road conditions.

Based on some research these are three options I found:

1. Chennai - Tindivanam- Villupuram- Attur- Yercaud
    2. Chennai - Vellore- Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri- Salem - Yercaud
    3. Chennai - Vellore - Tirupatur- Harur- Yercaud

I would prefer a road which is more fun to drive rather than the Expressways :p as long as the road condition is good.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Forget about route 3. Road from Tirupattur-Harur-Salem will be horrible.

My recommendation would be option 1.
    1A, Chennai-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Attur-Ayodhyapatnam-Kuppanur-Yercaud or
    1B, Chennai-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Attur-Salem-Yercaud

1A will be more scenic than 1B as this is the usual route to Yercaud from Salem. Option 1A is not known to many but good.
    1 person likes this.
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    I went Yercaud from chennai Aug'11, I went through the well known route Option 2 and the route is excellent apart from the 3rd Lane activity happening at stretches from Vellore to Krishnagiri.

I stayed at Grange Resort, which was very good.
  4. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    @ramjn: Thanks for the route map I think I ll stick to 1A as I would prefer a more scenic route.

@pemmasg: I was hoping to avoid the Vellore, Krishnagiri route as I do that pretty often when I go to Bangalore so I guess I will stick with ramjn suggestion.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You will get fully completed 4L till Attur (Some bypasses are two laned but good). Attur to Salem is under construction but definitely doable. Not bad at all.
  6. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Thanks ramjn, as you guys just did a trip on NH45 any idea if there are any good stop overs for breakfast?

I plan to leave Chennai around 5 in the morning.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You will get good eateries at the following places on the NH itself.

1. Dindivanam - Hotel Aryaas
    2. Villupuram - Hotel Aryaas
    3. Ulundurpet - Adyar Ananda Bhavan.

Plan accordingly.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  8. Raaj

Raaj Timido

@Flywheel
    Did you travel to Yercaud? Can you please share the route you had selected, are they good & possible pictures of yercaud.
    Am planning to go by Dec 1st week.
  9. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I took the Chennai-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Attur-Ayodhyapatnam-Kuppanur-Yercaud route. The roads where good and we had a great time.

I plan to do the trip again this weekend. Will post updates sometime next week.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. praful

praful

Bangalore
    The Kuppanur route is a little too narrow at a few sections, just wide enough for one vehicle to pass through.

And don't get tempted by this route --> National Highways 7/National Highway 7 to Yercaud, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Unless you have a high ground clearance SUV with enough torque to pull steep gradients. The road is non-existent for quite a few sections on this route.

EDIT: Oops! My bad, missed the post where you mentioned that you have already done this! :ugeek:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012