1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai to Thrissur - Route Queries

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by afzalpa, Feb 3, 2014.

1. afzalpa

afzalpa Timido

chennai
    friends,
    planning to bring my punto from Thrissur to Chennai.

Need your suggestion on which route should i have to take.

1. Thrissur > Salem > Villupuram > Tindivanam > Chennai
    2. Thrissur > Salem > Krishnagiri > Vellore > Chennai.

I am planning to start by 6 in morning.

awaiting for the response

Thanks
    Afzal
  2. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Afzal,

I have traveled in both these routes many times. IMHO, Salem > Ulunderpet > Villupuram > Chennai is better comparatively as you can save more than 50 KMs. In Krishnagiri route; as the 6 lane work is in progress there are chances that you will not be able to travel faster.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My recommendation -

Thrissur-Vadakkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Villupuram-Chennai.
    afzalpa, Sree3070 and kailasmenon2000 like this.
  4. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Ramesh .. I need some information on the above route as road conditions , Good restaurants... any specific turns and city's need to have close watch to be on the right direction ... I have never done it before .. I am traveling on 8th May morning to thrissur for Pooram.. I am planning to start early morning from Chennai around 3 AM.

Sreejith..
  5. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Hi Sree... I recommend you this route to Thrissur. If you have google maps, just follow the route shown.

Chennai-Tindivanam-Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I drove on the above said stretch over the weekend and I recommend it.

To be precise, it has to be Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Kunissery-Alathur-Vadakkenchery-Thrissur.

It will be 4 lane till Perundurai. You have to enter Perundurai town and ask for Kangeyam route. It is a wonderful 2 laned SH. Once you reach Kangeyam four road junction, take right for Palladam. After reaching Palladam, watch out for signboards for Pollachi. You have to take left here. After reaching Pollachi, ask for the route to Kollengode. After the police station in Kollengode you have to take right for Kunissery and Alathur. You will be cutting across the Salem-Kochi NH47 before reaching Alathur. Continue till Vadakkencherry and take left turn there and that road will take you to Thrissur. :)

Since you are leaving early at 3 AM, plan for breakfast at Salem. There is one 'Saravana Bhavan Chinna Chinna Aasai' just after the Vazhapadi toll on the left side itself. Food is very good here. If you need Air conditioned restaurant, just drive ahead for 3-4 kms. and you will find another Saravana bhavan on the left side of the road. Regarding this toll, this is the third toll on the Ulundurpet-Salem stretch. Before reaching Salem, you also have good restaurants as given below.

Arya Nivas at Dindivanam
    Aryaas at Villupuram bypass
    Aryaas at Ulundurpet (just after the toll)

Also, I predict you will enter Kerala by 1 pm and you can plan to have lunch there.
    3 people like this.
  7. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks for the detailed information. yes my plan is to reach Kerala by 1 PM or 2 PM however I have a fear that since it is a new route to me and there wil not much sign boards ( could understand from your comments ) there are chances for getting in to wrong route.. that may delay the travel.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ afzal & Sree: Did you guys travel? Which way did you go after or upto Perundurai from Thrissur? If you came via CBE how was the Palakkad Perundurai section?
  9. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Road Condition - Coimbatore to Trichur

Hi Folks,

I am planning to travel to Cochin, pretty soon. I am bit worried about the stretch between Coimbatore and Trichur. Last year when I did this, it was in a pathetic condition :oops: !!!

I would like to hear from people who did this recently :D. Also please help me with suggestion on alternative routes.......
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3