1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai to Munnar - Trip Plan and Need to know the road status

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Dear All,

I am planning for a trip to Munnar in my new linea by next week with my family and parents :). I planned for 4 days and 3 nights in Munnar. The plan as follows,

29-Oct-2013 - Chennai to Trichy (Via Tindivanam, Vilupuram) --> Leaving around 5:30 pm and reach Trichy by 11:30 pm and stay at our house
    30-Oct-2013 - Trichy to Munnar (Via dindugal, Theni) --> Leaving around 7 am and reach Munnar by 2 pm and stay in resort
    31-Oct-2013 - Sightseeing in Munnar
    1-Nov-2013 - Sightseeing in Munnar
    2-Nov-2013 - Munnar to Sankagiri (Via Udumalai, dindugal) --> Leaving around 2 pm and reach Sankagiri around 7 pm and stay at our house
    3-Nov-2013 - Sankagiri to Chennai (Via Salem, Vilupuram, Tindivanam) --> Leaving around 10 am and reach Chennai around 4 pm

Need help to know the road condition after the rains in Munnar and also places to see in Munnar. I am a frequent traveler between Trichy to Chennai and Salem/Coimbatore to Chennai. Never drove to Munnar. This is my daughters first trip to a hill station :) (2 yrs old) and first time my parents are coming with us for a trip and more importantly my Linea first long trip :). So I want to plan things well.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Your plan is good.

Roads at both Udumalai-Munnar and Bodi-Munnar are average to good. Shouldn't be an issue. For the return route (Munnar-Sankagiri), why would you want to go to Dindigul? You need not unless you have to go to Dindigul. The return route should be Munnar-Maraiyur-Udumalai-Dharapuram-Kangayam-Perundurai-Salem-Chennai. Udumalai to Perundurai has brilliant and beautiful 2 laned SH.

For the sight seeing in Munnar, look at Eravikulam National Park, Mattupetty dam, Echo point, Kundala dam and top station. If you have time, hire a 4x4 and do kolukkumalai estates. You will see beautiful sceneries there.

Here's sample Kolukkumalai drive video.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks ramjn, the reason I choose to come to dindugal is because, I wasn't sure of the road condition between Udumalai and Kangeyam. I was planning to take Udumalai-dindugal-Karur-Velore (paramathi)- Thiruchengode-Sankagiri in which dindigul to velore will be 4 lane and from velore to Sangakiri it is 2 lane SH road which is in good condition. I will take the route suggested by you because it is shorter also.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    I had gone to Munnar couple of months back when it had rained/was raining heavily. while going i had taken the bodi route and came back via udumalpet. that time i had found that udumalpet route was much better and was less affected due to heavy rains.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I heard from a recent traveller (about 2 weeks back) that both routes are in good condition.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I can vouch for the condition of Dharapuram-Kangayam-Perundurai-Salem stretch. Did that only yesterday and it was awesome.

Rajan
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi rams, ramjn, Patchyboy, thanks a lot for your valuable updates.