1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai to Hyderabad - Route Queries

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Rajith, Feb 8, 2012.

1. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Chennai - Hyderabad - Chennai Road trip

Team,
    I did a Chennai - Hyderabad - Chennai road trip last week. My Linea performed on par with my expectations, I had wanted to reach Hyd in less than 12 hours, and well achieved that in 11 hours flat - door to door. I took the longer Chennai - Ongole - Vijayawada - Hyderabad route and thouroughly enjoyed the drive. The stretch from CHN to VJA, part of the Golden Quadrilateral is a perfect one where you can push your machine to the limits. Started from Thiruvanmiyur at 4.30 am and with some guidance, reached Red Hills by 5am and then the MJD started talking. I crossed Ongole by 9 am, thankfully not much traffic whatsoever. Had no plans of halting as I kept some snacks handy which I was munching on the run while my Linea was munching miles ;). Ongole to Vijayawada took a bit more time as I was going easy on the gas. Reached Vijayawada by 11.30 am, the road was not how it was till Ongole, there were a few patches, diversions and some road work in progress. I took a half-hour break in Vijayawada as I thought it was much needed keeping in mind the road conditions and the traffic on the way.
    I had travelled on this road an year and a half ago and did not like it back then as it was congested. To my surprise this stretch proved to be one of the best stretches I can remember. I never ever thought I could do a 180 on this stretch and I kept resetting my speed-limit beep starting with 120 and moved it all the way to 150 which I was breaking quite frequently. I wanted to hold my horses so did not increase it any further. Well, I could complete this stretch in 3 hours 20 minutes, this included a few minute halts because of the traffic due to Ganpati processions on the way. With the blessings of Lord Ganesha, I reached home at Nallakunta safe and sound by 3.20 pm.
    Some stats for the fellow Team-Fiatians:
    The total onward distance covered was roughly 770 Km, took about 11 hours.
    Thought of testing the average without AC - got an average of 19.6 kmpl for the stretch from Chennai to Ongole.I could not cross the magic figure of 20 :( I know had I not pushed her to the limits I would have easily got well over 20. As the Sun was making his presence felt, I had to start AC again and kept it on for the rest of the journey. At the end when I checked again I got an average of 18.4 kmpl for the total distance.
    Felt robbed by the numerous toll gates inspite of a few non-functional ones on the Hyd-VJA stretch. I did not have to pay at 3 tolls as they havent begun their operations yet. But it was worth the extra bucks is what I felt during the return journey.
    On the return journey, I took the Hyderabad - Kurnool - Cuddappa - Renigunta - Chennai. This one proved to be a nightmare and my frustration levels touched their new highs. I do not want to talk much about this one and suggest people not to take this route for the next 1 year or so. I got a feeling that this stretch was a no man's land as it was all deserted and the road work was in progress but haven't seen such bad roads ever.
    Hyderabad to Renigunta is still fine but ***DO NOT*** take the Renigunta - Chennai road. After crossing Kurnool, the four-laning was in progress almost till Cuddappa. I did see a diversion at Nandyal which pointed towards Ongole at a distance of 193 km. I did not know how that stretch was, but I regret not taking it. The return journey took just over 14 hours and not to mention all the frustration. Damn it! Well, my Linea was taking all the bad roads with ease however a few scrapes to the under-body no matter how careful I was, irritated me to the core. I dont remember the last time her under-body scraped, if ever. I can hear some body sounds now, however haven't inspected if there are any problems. Whenever the under-body scraped, I checked with a torch it all seemed to be ok, however need to do a thorough inspection.

Threads Merged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If you feel that Hyderabad-Renigunta is fine, this route still holds good. You should have taken Chittoor-Walajah road to reach Chennai instead of doing Renigunta.
  3. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Ravi - thanks! ramjn - I guess I had taken a wrong route. Will see for the all the options I have the next time I plan on doing something smilar :)
  4. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Well, this is going to be a back to back post by me. Did a Chennai to Hyderabad trip yet another time couple of weeks ago (second trip in one month) and this time boy it was amazing ! took the Chennai-Ongole-Vijayawada-Hyderabad route (loved it). It was a night drive and I made sure to drive sedately - well, it was evident in the results. Total distance covered - 781.3 km, average consumption - 20.4 kmpl, total journey time - 13 hours 54 minutes, and average speed - 56 kmph. This included a one and half hour break in Vijayawada. Captured a few snaps, majorly for the record purpose targeting the average mainly :) (One thing I learned from this trip is that I too can drive sedately !) LINEA_MJD_DISB.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Here is the one showing average, brings a huge grin on my face whenever I see it :D
    LINEA_MJD_ACB.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

The rest of the pics prove that I too can drive sedately ! (Well, this is for my own sake :))
    LINEA_MJD_AVSPDB.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Last one..
    LINEA_MJD_TTRIPB.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

And well, I was checking if I can reach Hyderabad from Chennai in a single tank full (that's the reason the fuel gauge is showing empty) and yes, I could even roam around a few more km in the city !
    2 people like this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the update lowflier. So, the best route to Hyderabad from Chennai seems to be Chennai-Ongole-Vijayawada-Hyderabad. Can you have record of total toll paid between Chennai and Hyderabad?
  6. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    I dont remember exactly how much I paid, but it was definately on a higher side. Almost, came across 10 toll gates with 3 of them still non-functional (between Hyderabad - Vijayawada) and the amount was well close to 400 bucks.
  7. arunprasad

arunprasad Amatore

Hyderabad/Chennai
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Since I bought my first car in 2007, I have did some highway drivings - surely not comparable to many on this forum.

I have traveled on my Indica XETA several times to Srisailam, Mantralayam, Mahanandi and Ahobilam. After Telegana agitations started by end of 2009, my travel was restricted. Last year I drove to Vijayawada and Badrachalam.

I last drove to Chennai from Hyderabad in Feb 2008. I took Kurnool, Cuddapah, Renigunta route, which is the longest route, I believe, to Chennai. As the road laying work was carried at that time on the Hyd-Kurnool stretch, it was a little bit challenging journey; I was also new to driving.

After I bought my Linea, I was eagerly waiting for a long journey. At last I got the opportunity to drive to Chennai.

This time I chose Vijayawada, Ongole, Nellore route.

I was quiet happy and at the same time little nervous as I had to drive alone without any company except for my car. This is the first time I have did such a long journey alone.

Started at 6:55 am on 10th Feb, Sunday morning and reached Vijayawada by 11 am. Hyd-Vjw highway is very good, it was a pleasant drive with mist until 10 am.

The stretch between Vijayawada to Ongole; for around 70 kms road laying work is going on hence has to drive through pretty bad service roads. Reached Ongole by 1:20 pm.

From Ongole NH is good and had a nice time competing with other cars. I am not a racer and would not consider myself good at driving; but there was simply no competition for this Highway Queen. I was unable to match only one, a Duster with some spirited driving.

Reached Nellore by 3.05 pm and after reaching Gummudipundi road work and traffic slowed my pace. Finally I reached home at 6 pm.

11 hours of driving with few breaks for Tea. I never felt bored or tired, not a bit.

About driving on Linea:

- 11 hours of continuous driving did not stress me even a bit
    - High speed stability (on return journey I even touched 150 for some time) is superior
    - Steering - even at high speeds I don't need to hold it tight. Manuovering is simple and easy - no speed limits
    - Crossing 2000 rpm - it is a different beast all together. It's a pleasure to driver her on highways. Sometimes I felt
    Linea needs better highways to match her capabilities
    - Braking - excellent
    - Once 100 km speed is touched, there was little bit hardness on clutch; once the speed crosses 100 km/h it again
    becomes normal
    - Linea inspires your confidence in driving, provides great comfort on long journeys.

Here are some stats: (with A/c on 100%)

Hyd - Vjw - 273 Kms - Mileage 16.4 - time taken 4 hours
    Vjw - Ongole - 148 Kms - Mil 16.8 - time taken 2 hrs 20 mins
    Ongole - Nellore - 122 Kms - Mil 16.7 - time taken 1 hr 45 mins
    Nellore - Chennai - 185 Kms - Mil 15.5 - time taken 2 hrs 30 mins

Total KMs - 728

Total trip, including travelling within city, 1825 kms with an average mileage of 15.3.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    11 people like this.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    That was a good one.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Hyd to vijayawada road is still under construction? ? After crossing vijayawada you will be tired of taking diversion from one side of the road to another, this lasts for 30-40kms...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

That was Awesome :) I cant wait to complete 5000 on my ODO to take my Grande Punto 90HP for a long drive !!
    1 person likes this.