1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai-Ooty-Chennai planned for Third week of March

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Iluvpunto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Beautiful snaps of nature there and the greenery is soothing.
  2. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Brilliant snaps and good travelogue. Enjoy your Punto thoroughly. Well to add to your mention on the top speed - I could do a 175 kmph in my Linea with full load (4 adults, 2 kids and boot full luggage). The same I could not do it alone in the ORR in Hyderabad. I could just get to 150 kmph. So lot of factors depend on achieving that speed.
    1 person likes this.
  3. esskay

esskay Timido

chennai
    Alluring Avalanche pictures! Can"t wait to get there in my Fiat Linea..
  4. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Climax....

Though we had plans to start our trip back to Chennai early morning, destiny was something else. We could start only by 9 Am and this time I was determined to take Kotagiri Road as it was highly recommended by a lot of people including Ramjn and Hello2Anand. We reached doddabetta by 9.35 and took the road towards right to kotagiri. Best thing about Ooty is that you will find a lot of signboards indicating routes and places almost in every junction that you will hardly miss any turn. If you are going to Ooty always take kotgiri route as its has got wide roads, great tarmac and awesome scenaries opposed to narrow roads, wreckless downcoming truck drivers and TNSTC Buses and very less scenaries in Conoor Ooty Road.

Below attached are some pics from our return journey through kotagiri.

There is a view point every 100 mts and you will feel like stopping and clicking few pics there. Be prepared to lose some concentration in driving as you will be looking either sides of the road for breath taking views.

IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0622.jpg IMG_0623.jpg IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0627.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  5. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Fine state of tarmac throughout the way and alluring natural beauty all around.

IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0636.jpg IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0639.jpg IMG_0640.jpg
  6. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Now starts the horror. In ooty we never used AC and were keeping the windows open to take fresh air. By the time we were nearing Mettupalayam, temperature had rised like hell. It was about 39 degrees then and we turned on the Ac and kept the temperature as 25. I was shocked to find just hot air blowing out with no hint of chillness. I tried the minimum temperature of 16 still no hint of cooling :shock:. Since I had experienced a similar situation previously while going to my native, I understood that Gas Level in the compressor would be the culprit.

One my way from Mettupalayam to Avinashi, I found a TASS and thought of checking with them if they can do some thing. Entered the reception to find that Service Advisor is on a call with a customer trying to convince him on taking Extended warranty for some vehicle. I asked him if he can assign a service person to get the issue rectified. But he was least interested and asked me to wait for 10 mins. In the mean time My kiddo started crying as the heat was getting unbearable. Waited there for another 15 mins but that Idiot never hang up that call and I was frustrated to the core.

Decided to drive till salem so that I can take it to FASS itself to get this fixed. Called up True Sai Motors and fixed an appointment and took guidance to reach there. By the time we reached salem, kiddo was tired of crying and heat outside and slept off. Found the FASS which is located near New Bus Stand and handed over the car giving them a brief of what had happened.

It was an opportunity to see how a FASS can be better than a Maruti or Hyundai and they played it really well. We were given two 500 ml bottles of mineral water and was asked to wait in the Lounge. Later service advisor came to inform me that the Compessor is empty and will have to fill it along with replacement of O ring which seemed to be the culprit. They took about an hour and a half to complete this task as their service personnel had gone for lunch.

After refilling the Gas and changing the O ring we went on a test drive and all seemed well. They charged me 1150 to fill the gas and we were complemented with another two 500 ml water bottles which was kept in the back seat of the car. We started from Salem around 4 and with few breaks including one at ulundurpet A2B around 6PM, we reached home by 9.30. Next morning while taking bath I found myself in multicolour. My Right hand up to sleeves were pitch black in colour where as my left hand was intact. That was a result of sun exposure through driver side window while driving from Mettupalayam to Salem without AC.

Though getting my bumper scratched, getting sunburn and AC malfunction were significant set backs, but the drive to Avalanche and Kotagiri route simply outweighs them and will remain prominently in our memories. Thanks for all your support and will be back with another travelogue soon as my child has proven his endurance for journeys.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Few of the personal moments I cherished with my son Abhay who turned 7 months on the week of travel.

IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0354.jpg IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0361.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

And my personal Favourite

IMG_0598.jpg

And some pictures my Punto

IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0538.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

I would suggest you visit this place after rain as it would be much more greener and more water reflecting clear sky would look magnificent.
    1 person likes this.
  7. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore

Iluvpunto, I have already planned for a trip to Coonoor/Ooty this weekend. I know weather is not very nice at this time

On your attempt to Avalanche, how close did you go there ? Do you know what time they start the Eco friendly cabs & whats the frequency ? I am travelling with my 2 kids, the younger one is just 1 year old. My guest house has been booked at Coonoor & hence I'll be starting from there.

Thanks
    Anand
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not really. Don't you enjoy rain?
    I would say this is the best time to visit there. No crowd. Nice Weather. Plenty of rain. :D

No worries. When I travelled to Ooty last time, my daughter was 7 months old.
  9. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    I certainly enjoy it, but not while I am witnessing the intermittent rain for the last 1 week here in BLR.
  10. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Hi hello2anand,

I am sure you will enjoy the drive to Avalanche if you a get a bit of clear sky. Lake should be having lot of water now and a clear sky reflection on it will be a nice view. We were staying in fernhill KSTDC hotel, and Avalanche was some 24-26 kms from there and the roads are in very good condition till you take the deviation after Emerald Dam (I guess). We can go till the forest checkpost and the eco tourism begins from there. They have a small cafetaria like setup to get tea and some snacks like bread omlette etc. I would suggest you carry food as there is no other option in there. Timing is something I am not sure of but they have couple of vehicles used for this and expect a waiting of minimum 45mins -1 hour as the tour is for 2 hours. Below is a link I found, but not much informative.

New eco tour from Ooty to be launched soon - The Times of India

Wish you a happy and safe trip

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ooty is a place which you can enjoy round the year but the land slides which happened in 2009 and 2011 was something unfortunate and lot of locals suffered from being cut off from other parts of the town.