1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai-Ooty-Chennai planned for Third week of March

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Iluvpunto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Before I continue with my travelogue want to get one of my doubts cleared in terms of my Red Beauty. I see claims of achieving top speed of 170-180 in punto 90's but my I have tried hard everytime and no matter even if I stand on the gas pedal it would not go beyond 150-155. Not that I need those speeds in a regular drive but is there something wrong in my car ? Is there anything I can do to achieve those speeds mentioned above in stock condition ?
  2. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Hi All,

Can I please have an answer on my previously posted query ?
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  3. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    I guess it would depend on the type of road (incline?) and load. How many people and luggage were in the car? After a certain speed the rate of acceleration decreases and it would take a long time (you would need a long stretch) to hit the claimed top speed.

Please do take care before doing those speeds :)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Sorry to read about your car getting damaged, I know how it feels.....It's happened a couple of times with my old Palio, when two wheelers damaged it both the times.

We went to Ooty in my new Linea in September last year and since I have this habit of trying out new routes/roads, I went up to Ooty from Mettupalayam via Kotagiri instead of Coonoor as I had done that way many times. It was a great decision the road was fantastic, with brilliant views and flat tarmac all the way. Felt like I was driving abroad in certain sections. The best part was the low traffic.

I have some photo's of the trip, will try to upload the road snaps.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Depends on one's driving style as well. If MJD is used to sedate driving most of times and then for a change when its pushed hard; it won't respond the way you want to. Once in a while spirited drive does help MJd to be on its toes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  6. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I did not repeat the mistake while coming back Bro. I too did take Kotagiri Mettupalayam route while coming back and WHAT A DRIVE IT WAS !!!! I have no words to describe. Nice view points every 100 meters !!! I have some nice pictures too which will post in course of this travelogue.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This was my third long distance trip on my punto and I always do 120+ as the roads to my native are familiar. I guess in terms of Punto and Linea 130-140 can be considered to be sedate driving. Anything I can do now to push my car to the core ? or will it be always like this speedo not moving above 150 ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thank you for that info Flywheel. That could be the issue as whenever I go to my native luggage will be maximum and passengers 2-3 adults + 1 infant. And I dont dare to keep my leg on gas pedal for a long time as I do anticipate a lot while driving with my kiddo onboard and will move quickly to the brake pedal on even slightest doubt in my mind about the road ahead.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Since My dad and mom were first time visitors of Ooty, we had planned to cover regular places on the initial days. So we had been to doddabetta and The Ooty lake Boat house no 2 which was pretty close to our stay and was less crowded compared to the main Boat house near bus stand.

Below attached are some pictures from initial days in Ooty.

IMG_0243.jpg IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0250.jpg IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0283.jpg IMG_0288.jpg IMG_0290.jpg IMG_0291.jpg IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0293.jpg IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0303.jpg IMG_0306.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0315.jpg

To be continued ............

IMG_0300.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    About the maximum speed there are many factors in reaching it down to even a minor factor like tyre pressure.....I suggest you don't worry about the top speed. It is just a figure.

Here are a few photo's of the Kotagiri road.

DSC_0457.jpg DSC_0455.jpg DSC_0454.jpg
  9. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    First two days flew fast and mom and dad returned back to native. We were left with two more days which we wanted to enjoy in a relaxed manner. We decided not to cover many places in haste but to spend some quality time together in nature's lap. When I told about my long term dream to drive to Avalanche, my wife readily agreed as she too was fed up with the regular crowded tourist places.

And We both didn't regret the drive to avalanche which was about 27 kms from our stay. Roads were pretty good with less traffic may be due to off season. We had to get through a forest check post where we made an entry for our vehicle. Roads after check post is not that great, but just about manageable for a pre-2012 Punto. We reached the forest range office to receive first shock of the day, we cannot drive to Avalanche Lake in our own vehicle anymore :A. This is not what I had read in several travelogues and automotive blogs. Now the only option is to take a seat in the forest department operated Eco-tourism Vans. They charge 150 per head for a duration of 2 hours.

Unfortunately we had to give a miss for that as next Van was available only after an hour's time and a long queue was already waiting for that. Little master had little patience so we thought of driving back to the room.

Now its picture time. Long time dream cherished, Drive to Avalanche

IMG_0473.jpg IMG_0474.jpg IMG_0476.jpg IMG_0478.jpg IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0500.jpg IMG_0501.jpg IMG_0503.jpg IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0524.jpg IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg IMG_0544.jpg IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0547.jpg IMG_0550.jpg IMG_0551.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Few more pictures from the drive back from Avalanche. I am sure that this place would look a 100 times better after a rain and my camera doesn't do any justice to the beauty out there. Still .....

IMG_0558.jpg IMG_0559.jpg IMG_0560.jpg IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0568.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

Below picture is of famous Ooty flowers which can retain its freshness and colour for months even after its plucked. You get to buy a bunch for these for Rs 15-20 near Ooty Lake and other places. We were lucky enough to pluck them directly from valley on the way to Avalanche which was an amazing experience.

IMG_0569.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Nice Pics iluvPunto!! Awesome landscape shown in the pics..