1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai-Ooty-Chennai planned for Third week of March

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Iluvpunto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    First setback. My friend who cameback from ooty last week had some issues with his 2 year old daughter. she faced some breathing problem as they were out at 7pm and returned to normal once back in the room which had heater facility. He says that the temperature suddenly dropped to 12-15 and was very cold. Checked the Accu weather to see the same listed there as well. But forecast for next week shows 28-30 during day time and 15-18 in the night.

I dont want to cancel the trip. Any advise on additional preperations keeping this kind of weather ?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Just ensure to be warm!!! And do not forget to read post #2. I feel it sums up all.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Weather is absolutely fine these days, Satheesh. No worries. It really depends on person to person. I took my Daughter to Kodai in December and she was 9 months old that time. The temperature even dropped to 4 degree centigrade. The oxygen level will be lower on the hill stations and that may have caused issue in your friends case. Weather is not an issue at all.
  4. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Thats encouraging :p an answer I was looking for before I start my trip. Hope for things to go fine fingers crossed.
    1 person likes this.
  5. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Satheesh do the trip and update us I am planning sometime in apirl :-D take lot of pics have fun
  6. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Hi All,

We successfully completed the vacation planned from 13-17[SUP]th[/SUP] of March with few up’s and downs. The trip was amazing and we all enjoyed it to the core and the positives outweigh negatives by greater margin.

As planned, we started from Chennai around 5 on 13th morning and the journey was so uneventful with ample breaks till we reached Avinashi Road. Since I was not aware of the route and my parents were to be picked from Metupalayam bus stand, we took help of Lumia(720) aunty and reached Mettupalayam by 1PM. Picked up my parents and we took the normal connoor – ooty route which later proved to be a wrong decision and had to pay a bigger price for it. Lot of fully loaded trucks ply in this route who have least respect for the upcoming vehicles and while negotiating such a truck on a hairpin bend, I had to move the car to extreme left ending up scratching front bumper with a small hole in it along with fog lamp getting snapped off the bumper. I cursed myself a thousand times for taking that route which ended up this way. Everyone in the car was shocked with this incident and was silent for quite long time. Next thing which got me worried was the Fuel gauge acting wonky. Even though this is my first hill station drive, I was over whelmed with my 30-40k kms driving experience and decided to go uphill with just ¼ of diesel in the tank as per the fuel gauge. Since the road was narrow with heavy traffic I could not shift beyond second. We were not even half way through and suddenly the low fuel warning lamp started glowing and with in another km or so the buzzer also started and the needle was almost near empty line. I got panicked and tried up-shifting as much as possible trying to save the fuel so that we don’t get stranded in the middle of a hairpin with fuel tank empty.

Since it was just after the candidate for Nilgiris are got announced for the forthcoming election, roads were flooded with vehicles with variety of flags. And by the time we reached connoor, it was almost 4PM. To my surprise as soon as we reached connoor with somewhat flat surfaced roads, Low fuel warning lamp was off and the needle and now just below 1/4[SUP]th[/SUP] mark. Thought of not taking any risk and filled petrol from a pump at connoor which was at a rate of 60.19/ltr. By then we were all emotionally back to normal and started enjoying the sceneries around.
    We reached our destination KSTDC Mayura Sudarshan by around 5PM which is exactly 12 hours of drive from Chennai to cover a distance of 587 kms.
    There were very few pictures taken till this point of journey out of which most of them is of MID data which I have added below.

Apologies for the low quality pictures below. All taken with Lumia 720 using various softwares. Will upload some high resolution pictures tomorrow.
    WP_20140313_10_00_05_Pro.jpg WP_20140313_10_00_16_Pro.jpg WP_20140313_10_00_28_Pro.jpg WP_20140313_10_00_38_Pro.jpg WP_20140313_10_47_05_4BHDR.jpg WP_20140313_10_48_22_ev0_4BHDR.jpg WP_20140313_11_47_50_Pro.jpg

To be continued ................
    2 people like this.
  7. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Once we reached our destination, the scenery was simply relaxing. This property of about 150 acres is owned and very well maintained by Karnataka Horticulture Department and is 2kms from Ooty bus stand and 1.5 kms from Ooty Lake. They have a wide variety of flowers and few acres of tea estates within it.
    They have non-AC Deluxe rooms @ 1200/day which is clean but rooms might have few cracks on the wall as its very old building. If you get a room in the annexure building, there won’t be much to complain about as its newly constructed. They have a kitchen functioning during all meal times and food needs to be ordered at least 20-25 minutes prior. Even though the food is tasty and economical, you have very few choices and you might be tempted to
  8. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    I guess this is due to the vehicle's position while climbing up/down hill...

BTW, Did you get a chance to uncover the places (the pictures you posted earlier in this thread) ??
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  9. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Yes I did experience the sheer drive pleasure while driving to Avalanche. But could not reach Climax as Lake is no more approachable with private vehicles. Forest Dept have Eco tourism vans set up which will take you inside forest (which is extension of Mudumalai Tiger Reserve) and to the banks of this lake. Unfortunately I could not take this trip as waiting for Eco-Vans was too too much and my kiddo didnt have that patience. They charge you 150/head and they say its a 2 hour round trip. If you are lucky enough you can spot some wild animals.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Below attached are some snaps of the place we stayed. KSTDC Mayura Sudarshan. The Eden's garden you can enjoy.

IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0241.jpg IMG_0242.jpg
    1 person likes this.