1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai-Ooty-Chennai planned for Third week of March

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Iluvpunto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Its been 4 loong years since I have been to any tourist destination. I was planning for a trip to Goa in the month of may, as the airfares were very lucritive and all my friends had booked tickets for their family to exploit the situation. Eventhough My wife too was lured about having a vacation in goa that too in flight mean having minimal travel tiredness, I was looking for something neaby and ofcourse drivable. Google to find that the climate can be anything between bad to worse and temperature may go about 40+ along with high humidity. Convinced wife that taking our 7 month old kiddo to such a hot and humid place wont be good. I knew the technic, give any bitter pill in the name of kiddo and she will take it and so would I.

Then our conversation turned towards some cool place where we can take refuge for two days away from hot and humid chennai. Ooty, Kodaikanal, and Yercaud were the options we had and we chose ooty due to its proximity to out native in case our parents want to join us. I had been to ooty in 2010 as a part of package tour and like the place where we stayed which was KSTDC Owned Mayura Sudarshan so thought of booking a room there for two days and to extend in case required. The non Ac deluxe room cost around 1200 there and is located in Fern Hill Ooty.

My plan is not to do a lot of sight seeing but relax and visit some non tourist places in an around. Avalanche Lake is first among the list as I have seen in many travelogues that its a must visit in ooty.

I have few queries and concerns regarding this hope experienced people can help me with this.

1) is March good time to visit Ooty ?

2) Any issues taking 7 month kiddo to those altitudes

3) Do we require any approval to visit Avalanche Lake ? is it easily obtainable ?

4) what are the other non-crowded places in and near Ooty

I promise to keep this thread alive with lot of pics and updates. wont let it have a premature death for sure.
  2. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    hi, We completed a trip to Munnar in Jan this year. We travelled with our two kids (the younger one was 9 months then.....)

Every infant (or rather all of us) have different Metabolism...So, these are my set of precautionary recommendations since you are travelling with your kid...

1) Confirm with the Hotel Staff/Admin on room heater availability.
    2) Stay away from outdoor activities before 9 AM and after 4 PM
    3) Keep the baby warm at all time....Take adequate woolen wear, mittens, socks, etc...
    4) Take a basic dose of paracetamol (just in case)

Coming back on your Qs...
    1) Any time is good....But March is good indeed & not very crowded...But Hill stations are never away from people thronging in at any time...So, do expect a moderate crowd...Moreover, March is a transition from Off season to On Season ..
    2) I have explained above...
    3) Not sure...haven't visited the place...
    4) Will leave this open for others to comment...Would love to know such places....

BTW, Have you decided on the route ?
  3. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I have decided on Chennai - Ulundurpettai - Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam Road route. Let me know in case any better route than this. I will be starting early morning from chennai and planning to reach there by lunch if possible by 1-2 pm.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Absolutely fine. It is indeed very good time to visit Ooty. Not too cold and not crowded too.

Anand gave you a detailed explanation. :)
    FYI, I took my daughter to Ooty when she was 7 months old.

I haven't visited here. Let us see if anyone gives a reply or else I will enquire about this through my sources in Coimbatore. :)

Actually most of the places would not be crowded in Ooty at this time of the year.
    Popular spots in Ooty - Botanical Garden, Ooty Lake, Rose Garden, Sim's Park at Coonoor

Off beat places - Pykara falls, Pykara lake, Mudumalai. And your drive from Ooty towards Pykara and Mudumalai itself will have lot of exciting places.

This is the best route to take as of now. From Mettupalayam, I suggest to take Kotagiri-Ooty route instead of regular Coonoor road.

If you need a change or want to explore the state highways, you can also try Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapet-Andiyur-Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty.
  5. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I have heard that its very serene and beautiful place. Below attached are few images taken from internet and those are breath taking.

_MG_7892.jpg Avalanche lake in Ooty.jpg ooty_avalanche_lake.jpg
    4 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Be aware that you may not see greenery landscapes this time around the year. The trees start to grow from April and should be fully grown by May.
  7. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    The last photo (bottom right) mimics the Pykara Boating lake...Not sure about the other two...
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I too thought the same. I have kept my expectations very low so that there should not be any disappointment.

- - - Merged Post - - -

How far is Pykara Boating lake from the city? Will there be boating through out the year or its seasonal ? Looks like a place different from the crowded ooty lake.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  9. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Bangalore
    It is approx 20 km from Ooty situated enroute to Gudalur/Mysore. It is the preferred place of boating in Ooty compared to the 'over crowded' ooty boat house...It is operational at least for the month you have planned :)
  10. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I am happy for that.