1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai Metro Rail

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Request members to share Pictures, Updates and any news on Chennai Metro Rail in this thread.

Chennai will soon see a Metro Rail network. It is slated to be completed by the financial year of 2014-15. Chennai already has a Suburban Electric Train service and MRTS (Mass Rapid Transit System). Metro will operate independently but there are some intersections for the stations.

Official Website - CMRL

Some Information about Chennai Metro Rail Limited

- CMRL is currently executing phase I of the project which consists of 2 corridors.

- Chennai Metro would run as an auto pilot and the operators would pitch in only during emergency.

- Most of the Chennai Metro alignment is elevated but there are underground tracks as well.

- The Metro has to run through the City's one of the major junction, Kathipara flyover. The Metro will be elevated to 24 metres to run over the Kathipara Flyover.

- The coaches for Chennai Metro are made in Brazil.

Few pictures of the under construction sites

2. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Good info ramjin :). Its a must for cities like chennai where the population of both the humans and vehicles are high. Hope the traffic congestion and abnormalities will be cleared significantly once the metro rails are in action. Any info on mono rails? Are they going to make it as the largest mono rail system in the world?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Great news for Chennai-ites. Has the construction started yet?

The Chandigarh tricity metro is still in the planning stage :(
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Great to hear. The same is being implemented at Hyderabad aswell. The construction has already begun for one corridor and is expected to be complete and functional by the end of 2014. The other 2 corridors are supposed to be brought under operation by 2015. Though the construction process is making the traffic conditions worse, I am looking forward for using this system effectively. Travel time would be reduced by atleast 1.5-2 hrs to and fro.

The metro rail system will run for a length of 71.16 km covering 3 corridors viz., Corridor-I (Miyapur to LB Nagar – 28.87 km); Corridor-II (JBS to Falaknuma – 14.78 km); and Corridor-III (Nagole to Shilparamam – 27.51 km).

More information can be found at Welcome to Hyderabad Metro Rail , hyderabad metro rail,metro rail for hyderabad,hyderabad metro rail project,mrts hyderabad,hyderabad's mass rapid transit system,mrts project for hyderabad,hyderabad mrts,hyderabad metro rail limited,hyderabad metro r

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Great Information Ramjn. You are the GK man of TFI !!! :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Phase 1 of Chennai metro is almost complete. Pillars have been erected and tracks have been laid from koyambedu to kathipara.

All the coaches are not made in brazil. They have brought one model coach from brazil and are making the replica here in TamilNadu Andhra border some where near Tada.

Source: The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Metro Rail
  7. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Traffic are hetic due to the metro rail construction. Hopefully there should not be delays in statring them as most of the constructions have been completed for the erected lines. Only underground work is pending and i think it will take some time to complete.
  8. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Good news for Chennai. BTW the Kathipara flyover looks really good from distance.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Monorail project is very much on but behind schedule. They may start the construction this year. The phase I of Monorail will consist of 4 corridors covering a distance of 111 Kms (Vandalur-Puzhal, Vandalur-Velachery, Poonamalee-Kathipara, Poonamalee-Vadapalani). Unlike the Metro Rail project, this one is complete initiative of the State Government and Chennai MTC will be the nodal agency to develop this system.

Phase I of Chennai Metro Rail construction started in 2010 and should be complete by end of 2014.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Bala

Bala Esperto

I thought that in the latest cabinet reshuffle, Ramjn would be inducted as the transport minister,, good info Ramjn, the first phase of the metro between Coyambedu and Redhills is expected to be commisioned by December of this year.
    1 person likes this.