1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai- Kollam/trivandrum Route Condition- Afternoon-Night-Midnight Drive

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nixnarayanan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Here you go...
    I haven't gone inside Madurai city recently, I may not be able to give the time from Madurai.
    I travel from/to Bangalore and I can give the times from Thirumangalam(Madurai Byepass).
    I drive very slow, you may take less time compared to me :D.

Thirumangalam -> Kovilpatti Bypass : 1 Hr
    Kovilpatti -> Puliyangudi : 1.5 Hrs (Ask for Puliyangudi Road at Sankarankoil, its a bit confusing)
    Puliyangudi -> Thenkasi Bypass: 30 mins
    Thenkasi BP -> Thenmala : 1 Hr
    2 people like this.
  2. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    From Madhurai (Starting of By-pass) till Tenkasi it will take around 3 hours to 3.5 hours and from Tenkasi till Kottarakara it will take 2 to 2.5 Hrs. Total to reach KTR from Madhurai will be around 5 to 6 Hours.
    2 people like this.
  3. nixnarayanan

nixnarayanan Timido

chennai
    Finally, after evaluation all pros and cons, i have decided to stick on to the traditional Chennai-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Nagercoil-Trivandrum Route. Any suggestions on the possible pit-stops(I dont prefer to go inside city). I recall some of the Hotels near Tindivanam/Ullundurpet Toll Booths during my last drive to Yercaud.
  4. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    In option 2, Nagercoil to Trivandrum road is in pretty bad shape. I travelled there during september last year and this road was full of potholes throughout. Since it is a single road (traffic coming from both the sides without any barricades in between), visibility may be an issue during night time.
    1 person likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    +1. The update I have as of 31st December 2013, the roads are pretty much in bad shape with no improvement. Since its night, one will need to be a bit slow and careful to pass this stretch.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. nixnarayanan

nixnarayanan Timido

chennai

Sure! Will ensure 250% attention while driving through this strech(double the normal.. :p). I thought Kerala PWD/NHAI would have repaired the road on account of Sabarimala Season. If the roads are absolute mess, i would take a deviation from Kaliyakaavilai towards Poovar-Kovalam-Trivandrum Bypass, as i assume that this road is still in mint condition as it was during November 2013.
  7. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Hi All . i am planing to go to Trivandrum through Thenmala kollam route. i have never traveled through this route . if any body travelled through this route recenly, Please share the experience and the route details. i am not considering the nagarcoil route.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    All the way from Madurai to Kollam (through Tenmala, Punalur), the road is excellent. I travelled in June 2015.
    Can't comment on Madurai-Madras stretch.
    Sree3070 likes this.
  9. SVN

SVN Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Sree3070: one of the best route.pls carry a DSLR to capture the beauty of nature and share.

Happy and Safe driving :)
    Sree3070 likes this.
  10. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    thanks you limraj & SVN . thanks for your input .. i am still looking for the route info .. can i go til madhura and take diviation ?? from were i can i get in to this route any land mark ? or is there any other route i can follow insted of going through madhura.