1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai - Hyderabad - Nagpur road condition?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by xler, Jun 9, 2015.

1. xler

xler Novizio

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi
    I have travelled from Indore to Chennai (Indore - Shirdi - Satara - Hubli - Karwar - Honnavar - Bangalore - Chennai) and I am planning to start my return trip tomorrow.
    Google maps suggests Chennai - Nellore - Medarmatla - Nalgonda - Hyderabad - Nagpur - Betul - Indore

Please let me know the condition of roads from Chennai to Hyderabad and Hyderabad to Nagpur.

Thank you

Warm regards
    xler
  2. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    chennai to hyderabad has one of the nicest roads that you can ever have. no troubles at all. only caution that you need to take along this route is that, there are no refreshment stops(none worth mentioning ) along the route. the drive is breeze with you cruising at close to 130kmph all along the route. been on that road a few times in the last 2-3 months.
  3. xler

xler Novizio

Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you harryaviator!
    We decided to check out Hampi in Karnataka.
    So my return was Chennai - Bangalore via Krishnagiri - Chitradurga - Hospet. Overnight stay at Hospet.
    From Hospet we travelled via Bijapur - Solapur - Temburni - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Dhule - Indore.
    If was a fantastic experience. We travelled 4000+ kms.
    J Ravi likes this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Could you please inform me of the latest road conditions of this stretch? What about the condition of the road from Indore to Lebad?
  5. xler

xler Novizio

Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Regret the delayed response. I had plenty of work waiting for me.
    Hospet to Bijapur is a beautiful newly laid 4 lane road. We left Hospet at 6:30 PM reached the Bijapur (205 kms) byepass at around 9:00in the evening.
    After a dinner halt at a Rajasthani Dhaba, we started again at around 10:00PM. The distance to Solapur is about 105kms, but it is a two lane road without divider and there is very heavy truck traffic. The road condition is OK, nothing to complain. The stretch till the Maharashtra border 80km took us a little more than 2 hours to cover this stretch.
    We had lost about 20 mins in a traffic jam caused by an overturned truck.
    We reached Solapur at 1:00 AM.
    We missed a turn that would have taken us directly to the Solapur byepass and entered the town.
    It was a pleasure to hit the Hyd - Pune highway at Solapur and again we could cruise at 120+
    About 35+kms from Solapur, I stopped for refuelling and a power nap.
    I overslept. When I woke up at around 3:30, and tried starting, I was shocked to see a plethora of alarms and all the fault indicators on the dashboard blinking like decorations on christmas tree.
    My battery must have got partially discharged - we had left the parking lights, front fog lights and the blower on.
    As the engine was cranking, we did not suspect the battery and instead started checking if any of the connectors in the electrical systems were loose.
    I made a call to Fiat road side assistance at 4:00 and explained the fault and my location. He promised to call me back ASAP. He called me back every 20/30 mins to provide me an update. Their Solapur road side assistance network could not be reached.
    Finally I was thrilled when he called me at 6:00 and connected the local person on conference.
    As promised the local person arrived at 7:30 with a battery to jump start my car. We successfully managed to start the car. The mechanic had not brought a voltmeter to check if my alternator/rectifier was working. We decided that I would follow him back towards Solapur and stop after 15mins of running to see if my battery had got charged.With all my worries behind me, I resumed my journey.
    The road from Solapur to Temburni (85+ kms) is excellent. Except for 10 odd kms, it is a good four lane road. At Temburni we exit the Pune highway and take a right turn towards Ahmednagar. This junction is in pathetic condition. A new flyover is under construction to solve our woes.
    The road from Temburni to Ahmednagar approx 140 kms is again a single road. The initial 40/50 kms is a nightmare.
    This is being converted into a 4 lane road. The roads disappear at the places where we move from one side of road to the other side of the motorway or there are big craters or mounds to negotiate.
    There is heavy truck traffic on this road. All the southbound car carriers from MUL and the northbound carriers of Hyundai, Toyota and others use this road. In fact I passed hundreds of these long tractor trailers from Chitradurga till Ahmednagar.
    I thanked my stars for the breakdown which had forced me to negotiate this stretch in daylight.
    After the initial 50 kms, the surface of the road is better, but the single road and heavy truck movement slowed me down.
    Reached Ahmednagar at around 11:30
    The roads from Ahmednagar to Shirdi have been recently laid and it was a breeze.
    There was a huge traffic snarlup at a place 8 or 10 kms before Shirdi and we were stuck there for more than 20/25 mins.
    We stopped for lunch at Shirdi and left Shirdi at around 14:30.
    The road to Malegaon is very good. It is a single road without dividers. Covered the 70 odd kms to Malegaon in about 90mins.
    From Malegaon, it is a very good four laned road right up to Indore.
    One can easily cover this stretch of 400kms in less than 6 hours.
    It has been a very long answer, perhaps answering query.
    To sum up I will use this route again if i head to BLR from Indore. If i am heading to Goa or Karwar, i will use the Ahmednagar Satara road.

The most enjoyable portion of this travel was the Bangalore Chennai Bangalore stretch. It was sheer joy.
    I was driving on this road after couple of decades. This road is superb.
    On my return, I started from Vadapalani temple in Chennai at 6:30. The first stop was for breakfast at Saravana Bhavan at Kanchipuram. The kids ad heard so much about the original Saravana Bhavan that they decided to experience this to compare with their Delhi outlets the Saravana Bhavan.
    From Kanchipuram to Electronics city was a breeze. We covered it in under 3.5 hours
    J Ravi likes this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot for the detailed guide, xler, which will be very useful for my next north Indian trip. Any idea about the condition of the road from Indore to Lebad?
  7. xler

xler Novizio

Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Indore to Lebad is a good 4 lane highway upto Ghatabillod which is via Eastern Indore byepass - Rau - exit the AgraMumbai Road and take the Mhow - Ghattabillod road via Pithampur. The last 3 kms the 4 lane road is not complete. It is manageable - should be no problem at all for the XUV.

If you are travelling from south and heading towards Rajasthan/Delhi, you do not have to enter Indore. I recommend that you exit the AB road at Manpur. There is a very good road from Manpur till Neemuch which borders Rajasthan (about 320 kms). The road is good till the Rajasthan border.

When I travelled on this road a year back, the new roads were being laid on the Rajasthan side. Hope this answers your Q. RaviJ
    J Ravi likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh, that's a relief to know that. This was my experience as on 5 Sep 2013.
    dsc00153-jpg.52234.jpg
    dsc00158-jpg.52235.jpg
    dsc00160-jpg.52236.jpg
    dsc00163-jpg.52237.jpg
    dsc00164-jpg.52238.jpg
    The details are here:

With Less HP, My Linea Covers More HP!

I wish to stay at Ginger, Indore again. That's why, I have to detour and drive into and drive out of Indore.

That's again, is good news.

Now, I am going to consider the Indore route for my next north India trip. Thank you so much, xler, for the detailed replies.
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hello @xler and @ J.Ravi,
    Resuming this thread as I am to decide my travel route to Vellore. I got some inputs about visiting western ghats through another thread, but for an alternate route I need information. I have taken Indore-Pune(or Mumbai)-Satara-Belgavi-Chiradurga-B'lore-Vellore route twice and was planning to take it with a halt an detour for Kudremukh or better spot in western-ghat section of Karnatka.

Alternately, I may go via Khandawa-Paratwada-Nagpur(halt)-Hyderabad-Kurnool-Anantpur-Vellore, but I don't know how I leave NH7 and join NH4 for Vellore. Further, as I will not go to Western Ghat on this route, I wish to go to Humpi. Is that possible?

Members, advise me!

Ravi

P.S.: The Pithampur-Lebad road finally joins the Manpur-Neemach 4-lane. I have taken both routes and those are good.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    You can consider this route. However, you need not go via Nagpur unless you wish to. By avoiding Nagpur, you can avoid the bad stretch between Nagpur and Adilabad. From Kurnool, drive via Nandyal>Kadapa>Rayachoty>Chittoor>Vellore. Except for some bad stretches between Kurnool and Nandyal, this route is a beautiful scenic 2 lane NH all the way to Chittoor.

If you wish to visit Hampi, drive via Shirdi by this route.