1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Chennai Flood - Any safety tips plz

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Ashok James, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Ashok James

Ashok James Novizio

Tenkasi
    Tenkasi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Guys, plz sugg me how to save fiat vehicles
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's a sorry situation there indeed. You can simply avoid not going in water logged areas. And also remember there is a great risk of hydrolock and engine damage. Please read about it HERE.

Also there is a risk of corrosion for a stand still car, where after the waters recede, it can still affect some areas that can have accelerated corrosion effect, esp. where the anti-corrosion is not present or weak. Basically wheels, lower arms and everything is susceptible to some damage. You have to park the vehicle in an altitiude area where water cannot reach in most probability.
    prabhjot and Amit Gandhi like this.
  3. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Once the situation is better please take it to a garrage and inspect it from the bottom to make sure there are no anamolies. I prefer the anti rust coating by 3m which comes with a 5yr warranty. You can get this done if not already.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Don't venture out into the water logged areas. if you are stuck in the water logged area, do not attempt to start the engine. Park the car at a higher altitude if possible. Even after the water has subsided, do not attempt to start you car immediately unless it is properly checked and fit for use.

Looking at Chennai condition, I believe hydrostatic engine protection add on cover will have to be mandatorily bought every year during renewals for every other metro.

I am sure the Insurance co will have to pay through the nose for the huge amount of claims which are going to be received once the water subsides.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Would the insurance company pay for this so called act of God? I mean it's not an accident if a car is stranded in flooded which might would lead to engine and other problems. Please enlighten me on this as i am totally unaware of the insurance terms.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have lived in Bangalore and seen cars being submerged and in worst cases some cars even being washed away in storm water canals. Lesson I learnt is - if at all you have to live in a city don't rent/buy flat/home in low lying areas. Shun them like plague. Look for areas of higher altitude. If at all you live in low lying areas make sure you have some way of moving your car out of the water logged area as soon as flooding starts. However, this strategy may not work always because I have seen some cars being submerged because the owner was not around when water logging started. It happened to my close relative's car - submerged when he was not in town. It lead to a major expenditure to open the engine, clean and refit. So best solution is avoiding low lying areas.

But then I have seen cars being submerged in the basement of the office. Just because of 1 hour rain outside of the office had so much water that there was no way to move the cars out. People had to helplessly watch water rising up slowly in the basement until the cars completely went under water. Therefore it is a challenge to keep your cars safe in a city. As @ghodlur suggested having insurance gives you some peace of mind.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Just found this over fb. Hope it helps.
    Screenshot_2015-12-05-00-12-09.png
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. gklc811

gklc811 Novizio

Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    My car is drowned till the intercooler and is at thuraipakkam now.

As a precautionary I have sealed the exhaust, air intake and removed the battery terminal before the flooding.
    The floor and the carpets is flooded.

The plan is :

Check whether water has reached the air intake (In no way it could reach there but check again)
    Check engine oil for any water contaminant. If engine oil is good connect the electricals start the car and remove the mat in a garage, dry and refit the same (Estimated cost is Rs:1500).
    Questions taking this approach
    ->Is there any possibility of water entering the transmission fluid and how to find it.
    ->What are the other things I should worry about

If water is found in engine oil, Will call the insurance guys and tow it to service center and get it fixed.