1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

checking of Turbo Boost & checking of oil in intercooler pipe

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by bhai, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi friendsToday I done verification of Turbo boost & checking of oil qty in intercooler pipe. But wait not of my MJD. I checked of my DDiS.My DDiS was giving performance related problem & high engine noise. Clocked 35000 Km. I know DDiS gives loud diesel clatter then MJD.But mine was giving more as compared to my friend's DDiS.I So I checked plumbing of intercooler pipes. I found that rubber hose pipe was installed by Maruti guy just upto coller of metal pipe of intercooler. & little qty.of oil was leaking from the gap between end of hose pipe & coller of metal pipe.I removed pipe by lossning the threads of hose pipe clip. Checked amount of oil in pipe. I was expecting large amount of oil in intercooler pipe same like my old 75 BHP clocked the same odometer.But I surprised to see that very little qty. of oil was present. e.g. Qty. when we take hair oil to apply on hairs. Very thin layer.Thank God. I meant oil seal of Turbo is in good condition.I started the engine without intercooler pipe. I wanted to check pressure of turbo boost. I was expecting the huge pressure.I checked the boost pressure on idling. There was normal pressure. I coould not check the pressure by reving engine high because I was alone while doing this trial.I was expecting the Engine light coz I started engine without the boost pipe. But no engine error light fired.While reinstalling pipe , I pushed the pipe beyond the coller of metal pipe of intercooler & then tightened the hose pipe clip.After that started the engine & reved. Wow ! NVH came down & I started to get boost right from 2200-2300 RPM.Before doing this job I had to wait upto 2700-3000 RPM to get jet effect of DDiS.Means the problem was due to improper fitting of hose pipe which goes to inlet manifold.I have enclosed image.Red marking indicates former position of pipe.Green marking indicates my job of pipe fitting.Unfortunatley I forgot to take photo before starting the job.This experience is helpfull for varifying the diffrance between boost of MJD & DDiS at idle RPM.P.S. - Sorry for displaying the DIY of rival of MJD. But purpose is only to spread knowledge.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Sorry for absense of photo. currently I am unable to attach inage due to technicle problem.

I will update soon.
    1 person likes this.
  2. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The oil you find usually in the pipes will not come from the turbo seals. It will come from the crankcase, being introduced via the breather.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for clearing concept. & what happens when turbo oil seal worns out?

Thin layer is allowed. But if inlet manifold is clogged like black & greasy,sticky carbon like 2 stroke engine exhaust then what it indicates?

I am asking coz my former 75 BHP 1.3 MJD was acting like this.

I want to increase knowledge about Turbocharger

Because many time performance of my 90 Hp becomes so bad that I always think that Turbo of my 90 HP is became bad. Please help

That time I connect ECU examiner but it does not show any error.

Then I put fuel from differant petrol pump
    Still no improvement
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    To reduce the build up of oil in the pipe 2 things can be done;

Fit an oil catch tank between the breather and the air intake or vent the crank case in the open air with a pipe going under the car to prevent oily smell getting into cabin.

Second thing is to add high quality engine flush (what I recommend I can tell by pm) to the oil about the miles it takes for a tank load of fuel being used up before going to service.

The latter will improve the fuel efficiency as well as power.

For turbo engines use only specified oil.

Build up of carbon deposits in the inlet is something that happens naturally as long as crank case vapour is fed into inlet. If it accelerates than it indicates sticky piston rings.

Reason for lack of performance can be adulterated fuel, which makes a massive difference. I experienced this personally when driving in India. The car struggled to get to 120kph being a modified Punto 75bhp1.3.

Another reason might be tiny cuts in the pipes after the turbo.

The MAP sensor and/or flow meter defective, badly clogged air filter, blocked fuel filter, ECU in emergency or even limp mode.

When turbo bearings go, the turbo in most cases goes noisy. It eventually will seize
    2 people like this.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    One chronic douby in my mind is - What is relation between bad fuel and low turbo performance. You may laugh on me. But please clarify.e.g.There are 2 cars. One is full of adulterated fuel & another is genuine quality of fuel.If we drive both @2000 RPM in 5th gear both MJD will run with same speed i.e. 80 Km/hr.I mean once the RPM reaches at 2000 RPM, car with adultetrated fuel should also give the same amount of turbo boost.Coz both car have Turbo which runs on exhaust pressure.But why we get differant performance ?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    boost provided by turbo is same irrespective of fuel in the car, performance differs due to fuel quality
    BTU of kerosene is lower than Diesel and Kerosene ignites more easily
  7. ramu_dodda

ramu_dodda Amatore

hyderabad
    bhai, can you show me intercooler pipe pictures , where it will be there in fiat linea & punto, how to check the leakage? I dont have much knowlege at engine side.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    With all due respect, please show the car to TASS if you're facing any suspected issue relating to the engine.

Cheers.
  9. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai

A word of caution .. Engine flush can also be harmful for engines with turbo . The turbo needs oil to operate properly . Operating the turbo without oil for even a sec could seize it . Please do not try engine flush if you do not know what you are doing .
    TO reduce the build up of oil and soot in the inlet and the EGR valve all that you have to do is to do an occasional trip on the highway at good speeds 3-digits . The soot will automatically get flushed out . Another thing .. please mainitain your air filters and your inlet piping . You would be surprised by the amount of fine sand that gets deposited on the intake manifold which could eventually wear out critical engine components . Using any free flow filter is not good for a turbo as small fine particles of sand and dust will also lead to catastrophic failures .
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    bhai, I've PMed you a message Please take a look at it