1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Check Plate Light Error Message while plate light is still working

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by nithin.v, Jan 2, 2014.

1. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

Today when I started the car, the amber light signal for number plate light was on and it said 'check numberplate light'. I checked and the light was working. Any idea what could be the problem ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Was the bulb changed recently? Once when the bulb on my punto was acting weird and not glowing intermittently, i went to a neighorhood automotive spare store and got a similar bulb and fixed it only to realize that the warning on the Console didn't go.

Opened up and checked the rating of the bulb and found it to be 3.4W. Went to the store again and asked for a bulb with 5W rating, that resolved the issue.

Even if there was no recent change, try changing the bulb. They turn black and start acting weird towards their EOL. The bulb costs < 10Rs.

The genuine bulb seems to cost 96 Rs but i personally wouldn't bother getting a genuine one, the replacement one on mine has being doing it's job for over a year now.

If you need a pic of the bulb, i have a few lying in my car and will be able to click a pic tomorrow morning.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

The bulbs for rear number plate are a lil loose in puntos. In all 3 puntos, incl mine, the left side bulb used to play hide n seek with us. We just opened the bulb and fitted it back properly and since then no error is encountered.
  4. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

Thanks for the vj_v1 for the detailed reply. I will try to change the bulb and will post the update.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    This is how the bulb looks.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1388730427172.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  6. cgujral

cgujral Amatore

Delhi
    New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Hi, I too have got this bulb replaced yesterday. Till now every now and then the amber light was glowing intermittently. I use to tap the number plate bulb to make it on. On tapping it glows and the amber light warning goes off. This was continuing for some time till 02 days back when the bulb wont light up even after hard tapping. Got it checked and replaced, it was blown off ( Turned black). But now the Amber light is glowing constantly and getting the signal every time I switch on the ignition " Check Number Plate Light"

Thanks VJ for the explaination, would be getting it checked if it is 5W or not and will update...

7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The OEM bulbs cost only INR 33 each, from FASS.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I suppose it is same for Lineas as well. Only in the right as in the Linea's case as I noticed. I think the problem 9 out of 10 times is loose bulb fitting. It can happen pretty often if bulb is not removed and refitted properly.