1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Check Engine Message

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by atulalvenkar, Aug 27, 2010.

1. navinpunchiri

navinpunchiri Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi everyone,

I am very new to dis and got my punto mjd last month.I cleared 3300 kms and suddenly when i was driving i got a msg showing check engine and suddenly it got stopped.I called up the 24/7 and they came and towed my vehicle.The very next day service centre called me they have kept under some observation and they will give the car tomo.But when i spoke with dem very next day,still dey are getting the same error and they are not able to find out what issue is that.They told me it might be because of some sensing issues.

Kindly advise what has to be done.
  2. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    In my case, the accelarator was not working that time and tried(KHT Bangalore) almost 4 to 5 days. They replaced entire wiring in the engine bay. Since then iam not having any issues except rodents problem.
  3. navinpunchiri

navinpunchiri Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So will they be working anythin on the engine??
  4. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    no navin, initially they checked the clutch assembly and they tried couple of time, coz this issue is coming intermittently. Finally they replaced entire wiring. They didnt touch the engine as its pretty new that time(just 2 days after i purchased).
  5. harish kotur

harish kotur Novizio

Namma Bangalore
    bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I got check engine message in MID last Wednesday. this is due to heavy rains in Bangalore on Wednesday evening and the roads were clogged with rain water(3/4 of wheels was in water). I stopped the car and waited for 5 min and tried to start it but the message still persisted. I check the Owner manual, which mentioned to take to FASS with moderate speed. Since it was night 11.30, I drove the car back to home (around 12-13 KMS).
    Next day morning when i started the car, the message was gone even the dash board engine check light was also gone. To be on safer side i took the car to Aadya motors and reported the compaint. The Service advisor took a test drive and drove the car again in the water clogged roads, the Check engine message appeared again.
    Upon inspecting, he found out that the water had entered in to fuse box. he cleaned all the cables in the fuse box with air and he sparyed some kind of solution(Wurth Brand). Also he read the ECU with the examiner.
    The Engine check light disappeared.
    To ensure this is fixed,I did some city driving for about 25-30 Kms, the engine check warning stayed off.

The SA advised, not to take the car if the water level is above the 1/2 the wheel.
    pv_krish and Ravi like this.
  6. subhashmv

subhashmv Timido

India
    Today early morning, a truck speeding through water clogged road poured the mud water over my car, and I had to sudden break which stopped the car in water.
    Water was not too high, but not sure if it touched silencer.
    Also engine was still running.

Moved from water soon as I could see forward.
    But “Check Engine” warning started displaying :(

Parked aside, accelerated in in neutral gear, still the warning displays.
    Stopped engine, waited for some time, and started again.
    No problem in starting, but the warning still displayed.
    Slowly moved, no missing, everything looks OK, except the warning.

As I had to reach my home town today and feels nothing wrong except warning light , I decided to keep moving.
    Driven another 200 kms and reached home safely, but one problem I found was the engine’s useful RPM ends at 2500, no other problems observed.

As I understand, water will flow into silencer, then engine; but only if the car is halted and silencer is underwater. Am I correct?

I will take my car to SC today, will update you there findings.
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is a good info. Will be careful while going in water. But avventure would be able to wade this given its 205mm GC ;)
  8. subhashmv

subhashmv Timido

India
    Just back from SC. The mechanic is my classmate in school!!

The error code was for problem in fuel system, but they checked and found everything perfect.
    He just erased error and started engine, no warnings displayed now.
    Also He took few kms test drive, and no warning, or power problem..

As per him, may be there was issue in fuel system, which got cleared now, and the message still displayed
    The top end torque (power) issue I had in morning could be due to problem in fuel system.
    Ravi likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Still keep a watch for the next few days. Hopefully as said by SA the problem could be due to temporary issue detected.
  10. arzala

arzala Timido

Vadodara
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I too had occurred this "Check engine light constantly remains on" problem on 18th Aug. And I reported it to Bhaskara fiat in Vadodara since I leave there. But till now they are not able to sort it out.

They keep my cars for 1/2 week to try and test various things like ECU, BCM, Wiring etc. and when they don't find any problem. They return to me. Then again I have to give them for further inspection.

What I wonder is that a car is built in less than a week but it then takes 2 months to find such issues. I called their area sales manager and he suggested to contact dealer only. Then I contacted to Mr Mangesh who is CC head. He too just communicates via email and gives answers like "things are under progress..." I sincerely doubt what Fiat company is doing this.

I also sense that things are going slow because I bought car from other dealer Dhruuvil Automart in Ahmedabad because same car was 10000 Rs. cheaper there than here due to local tax issue.

I am clueless what to do now...