1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

'Check Engine' error -

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PKMohan, Nov 19, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There are many errors that come up and are stored. However, the Check Engine Light - comes on only for cases where it is unsafe to continue driving. Since you already have a OBD scanner and the necessary software installed on your phone, you could have probably checked your self and found out what the error was, but could not have cleared it, without replacing the hose. Glad you did not drive with a cut turbo pipe. The drive would have been very stressful - both to you and the car.

Parts of the plumbing is made of rubber pipes and this can happen to any car. AFAIK, there is no permanent solution. Replacing the rubber hoses with metal tubes might prevent it, but not sure about the feasibility, considering the complex bends involved.

Rubber is prone to hardening and cracking over time and would happen anywhere in the world. Not sure about the MJD, but in my Jet, the rubber hoses are imported. You can order the rubber hoses from UK, but IMHO, it is not worth the premium you would pay.

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    I was fed up of the hoses at one point of time and tried to procure silicon hoses. It was risky to order online since the design cannot be guaranteed looking at images. I found a manufacturer in Chennai but he was not responsive on phone or email probably since I was not asking for a bulk buy.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
  3. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    If this is such unavoidable issue, why Fiat shouldn't add this under preventive measure of changing the turbo plumbing (only rubber pipes) for every 30k kms or every two years. It might cost 2k more every two years but it would give peace of mind considering that we wont find many authorised centres.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    As per my observations there is more Oil deposit in turbo pipe of MJD than DDiS.
    Because MJD use 5W40 which is thinner than 15W40 of DDiS.

This is my humble opinion. Corrections are welcomed.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    I checked the replaced pipe and there were absolutely no traces of any oil apart from some black carbon deposits. Check the pictures.
    uploadfromtaptalk1384963633516.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384963677091.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ PKMohan
    Wow! your pipes of turbo are oil-free.
    My former 76HP Punto was with clogged by carbon+thick black oil in intercooler like exhaust of 2 stroke engine. That former 76 hp was facing problem of bad engine performance but no ecm error.

Bad TATA dealer avoid to do necessary repairs. He only cleaned intercooler & pipes. Finally I sold off FGT & exchanged with 90 HP.

Now bad luck is current 90 HP also facing same problem. Cleaned intercooler & EGR twice in 30000 K.M.

Performance becomes bad only within 500-1000 km after cleaning of EGR.

FIAT dealer has taken approval to change EGR. But due to my busy schedule I am not able to visit FASS.

I shall update after changing EGR. But after seeing above images I think problem may repeat.

Excessive oil in turbo pipe may be due bad turbo bearing which is leaking oil in intercooler via its pipeline.

I mean Premature clogging of EGR & Intercooler due to bad bearing of Turbo.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Was on night drive, it was around 12:30am,after overtaking lorry at 100Kmph,after seegin few men crossing the road, applied the brakes and when given the push on accel,the car lost the pick-up gave two jerks with beep "Check Engine" took extreme left stopped the car and checked, didnt found anything weird.Had a tea and started again,the beep with message appeared again.Switched off AC and driven at 80Kmph,everything was runnning fine.no drop in mileage,no black smoke.i doubt here on turbo hose ? .
    The car is runnign on tuning box,i dont think so its a problem due to tunning box,if yes,the car will not start at all or will come to halt.
    PradeepM likes this.
  8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Ganges If your car goes into limp mode i.e cannot go above 100kmph/2500 RPM with out any other problem such as heating/stalling etc. then the problem can be these turbo hoses. Other issue can be your tunning box which might be giving more pressure.
    Kiran
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kirenh
    Thank you for the pointers.Firstly will check today for turbo hoses and then if required will disconnect the tuning box.With the given setings of tuning box,car has ran for more than 2000Kms.