1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

'Check Engine' error -

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PKMohan, Nov 19, 2013.

1. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear experts,

I am looking quick help/suggestion on Check Engine error. Yesterday I was driving from Hyderabad to Bangalore and after covering about 120kms, suddenly Check Engine error popped up on MID. There was absolutely no issues with the car, all the parameters are normal. Pulled over to a nearest busstop on highway and opened bonnet and checked for any obvious signs. But couldn't find any and decided to Fiat helpline and RSA. After giving the symptoms, RSA suggested not to drive and get the car checked at nearest service centre. They suggested not to cross 50-60kmph, so I decided to head back to Hyderabad and after driving for about 3 hrs, reached Hyderabad and took directly to service centre in Jublie Hills.

They were quick to attend as I was talking to them on my way back, the mechanic opened the bonnet and said turbo pipe is punctured and need to be changed. I was relieved knowing it is a relatively small issue.

I got the appointment to change the turbo pipe today and quickly wanted expert help/suggestions on what else to check for. I am posting a snap taken where the leak was shown by the mechanic.

Few details about my car, it is Linea EmPK MJD, Apr 2011 registered, done 36000kms, serviced at 29000kms.

Regards

2013-11-19 07.56.34.jpg
  2. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Update:
    At service center now, they mentioned that its a trivial issue and will be fixed quickly. I asked them to run the engine examiner/scanner to see if there are any other issues.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems they have nailed the issue, so nothing to worry.
    Just have some small drive and check if everything is fine.
  4. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Update:
    Pic of cut pipe. Cut is about 1.5inches.
    uploadfromtaptalk1384837487960.jpg

Replaced pipe
    uploadfromtaptalk1384837584535.jpg

5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Hope things are OK now.
    How much did it cost?
  6. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    Mohan, did you feel any drop in pickup as the Turbo pipe got punctured?
  7. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Update:
    Just reached Bangalore after the long drive. Car is absolutely working fine. Looks like all 90 horses are back in the engine.

It was real quick fix at the service center. Job was done in less than 35-40mins, but they took more time for billing...!!!
    After replacing the pipe I thought error would go automatically after sensing enough turbo pressure. They tried switching on and off for 10-12 times, but error didn't go and they connected the engine examiner and checked for any other issues. It showed only turbo boost pressure issue and they had to delete this error manually. After this, went for test drive and performance was back to normal.

Overall service center experience was very good and it was my first visit after Fiat started its own service centers. Very glad to see each and every car is FIAT in the service center.

Total cost was 1237/- including two additional clamps for the other side turbo pipes.

With turbo leak car was struggling to reach the speeds but never suspected on turbo pipe failure till the service center guys showed. It wasn't like total loss of power.

4 people like this.
  8. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Few questions on my mind and just putting them here:

1. Is there anyway to pinpoint the issue when MID shows check engine error? Whether regular OBD2 Bluetooth adapters pick up this error? So that one need not go in panic mode after just seeing check engine error. I was really panicked not knowing the actual issue, had I known this issue, I would have probably continued the journey yesterday. Though not sure on what damage it would cause by driving 400kms with cut turbo pipe. Any idea on this?

2. I have read similar issues and is there anyway to fix this issue (turbo pipe cuts) permanently? Whether this is a similar issue with non-Fiat cars?

3. Whether this issue is common in other countries where these cars are sold? Or this is the issue with localized parts? Can we source better turbo pipes from other countries? Whether part would be straight fit to Indian models?

9. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to hear that PK,,, which service center you did this job??
  10. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    It was done at Butta Automotives in Jubilee Hills. They mentioned that they are first Fiat exclusive dealers in AP.
    SA was Raju
    Mechanic was Suresh

Picture of service center with all Fiats:
    uploadfromtaptalk1384883175558.jpg
    1 person likes this.