1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Changing final gear/drive ratio

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Here are the gear ratio's of Grande Punto

Since remap , I am feeling that my car need to have little taller 5th gear ratio, may be 0.614 to be able to get best out of remap.
    Any one tried changing the gear ratio's be in Punto or any other car what are the pro's and cons of it?
    To me it looks like 1.9 and 1.3 are using the same gear ratio's but for one more gearcog for 6th gear.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

I think it is not possible to change the current gear ratio without chaning the gear box. The current gear box is archaic.

The other option is considering fittting Swift's gear box, but that will incur a lot of cost and will hamper reliability.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Hey Sat.. I have a wild idea.. how about swapping the gearbox of the palio ??
    It might be easy to source it and probably the best fit???
  5. It is also c510,petrol ones are slightly more shorter
  6. Swift's gear box is an option, but it would also mean clutch fly wheel change? There is a speed sensor in Punto's gearbox how to fix it on Suzuki gearbox?
    What will the approximate cost of it? can the Punto drive shaft work with Suzuki gearbox?
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

I am surprised that you need more taller 5th gear. Current 5th gear takes you to almost 190kmph.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Satchitananda - Would you please guide me to you review of the tuning box. I am sort of unable to get hold of it.

The request applies you have posted a review of the tuning box :p
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

190 ?? the 75BHP wont do 190 , at least not in my car (or may be im not brave enough to do it yet).
    His is 75BHP
  10. may be at 5000 RPM in 5th gear, but diesels engines are better doing such speeds in slightly lower RPM, like achieving 10kmph in 5th gear at 2000 RPM,which will add to FE and car runs relaxed on highway.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Even 90HP will not do 190.