1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

central locking mechanism

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by ramgopal, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ramgopal

ramgopal Timido

Chennai
    I noticed that when all the doors are centrally locked, any one can open the door by pulling the lever from inside even though the driver side lever is still in locked position. Is this normal.
  2. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think that's normal. Central locking restricts the opening of any door from outside of the car .
  3. ramgopal

ramgopal Timido

Chennai
    If it is normal, then my concern is safety of the passengers. Any one can just pull the lever to open the door and there is no two step process to unlock the locked door as like given in maruthi or other makes. In Maruthi's you need to disengage the locking latch and only then you will be able to pull the lever to open the door. But here it is the same lever you can pull to unlock and open the door.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    This is a european safety feature. i.e. anyone will be able to open the door at any time.

Just an example, Lets say a car meets with an accident and the driver is critically injured and has lost conscious. The vehicle has burst into flames. The passengers are not that badly injured and are trying to get out of the car but can't since the driver has to unlock the doors. (You can imagine the car falling into a river as well instead of the flames scenario).

Which car would you want to be in the above scenario? A car with central locking as in a Maruti or as in a Punto?

That said, i know that you will next ask " What if kids in the car unlock the door when it is running?"

Answer: Your kids should be in the rear sear with their seat belts ON and then there are manual child locks on the rear doors which you should be using if you think your kids will do some kind of mischief.

VJ
  5. ramgopal

ramgopal Timido

Chennai
    That's a good example and the usage is perfect. I agree. Even in maruthi or other makes any one of the passengers can unlock and open without interference from driver. But my question is, the other cars will have one lever to open the door and another a lock/unlock. So this is a two step separate process. Here in our Punto, it's just only one lever, when you pull it halfway, it unlocks and when pulled full way it opens the door. If you pull it hard towards you, it unlocks and opens the door. That's what my concern is.
  6. Vijairaj

Vijairaj Amatore

Chennai
    You can engage child lock on the back doors to prevent it from being opened from the inside otherwise the central locking is to prevent people from opening the door from outside.