1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Caution-Alternator Belt

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sanjeev, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have a 2011 made punto 90 hp which has run around 52000 kms. Today morning i had an unpleasant experience while driving down to work..

While nearing my office after driving around 20 kms i could hear a typical sound similar to that of electrical short circuit and it was pretty loud...

On inspection i found that alternator belt had ripped off from a place which inturn was hitting the ac pipe beneath it and making the sound..

Also due to friction the pipe had started heating up(see the pictures) and i could see the burn marks on the insulated cover of the ac pipe...

The car was still drivable however i didnt want to risk and called up the RSA...
    This was the first time i was using them and it was a very nice experience i will say....the flat bed truck reached me in around 20 minutes and my car was towed to Balaji Fiat in turbhe...The driver of the tow car cut off the ripped portion of the belt and there was no sound now..he was alone and i must say he handled the whole situation in a very professional way..

On further inspection in service centre it was confirmed that the belt gave away because of regular wear and tear. They changed it and the cost was around INR 980.

Now the reason of putting up here is to make everyone aware of this issue and that you need to inspect the belt for any wear and tear regularly.

FIATcould have included it as a must change item in the 45k service interval only but i guess they know more then me :)

I also met a gentleman with a 90hp and 54k on ODO at turbhe Balaji,he has not faced such issues yet..

I will also suggest everyone who is nearing 50k or has crossed it to change the belt as it doesnot cost much ,however it can surely cause much heartburn and agony incase it gets snapped in an unexpected place and time :). I was lucky that i faced this problem today when i was within the city premises and not on a highway trip :)

Thanks
    Sanjeev

Picture1.jpg IMG-20130914-WA0013.jpg

P.S- Admin may move the thread as appropiate
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    FIAT has specified changing this belt every 60K km's or 4 years whichever is earlier.

Just tough luck that it had to break at 52k. I wouldn't call it an issue as such.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have not done the change.My ODO on 77K kms.now.i should visit Tass tomorrow then :)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4
    2 people like this.
  4. Absolutely gurjinder..I agree with you that its not an issue as such...intention of posting here was just to make fellow tfians aware that they MAY face this...:)
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I too haven't faced the belt issue in my Linea 2009 MJD completed 75000 kms.During last visit to change the front shockers the SA told me nothing wrong with the belts.Still would visit the newly opened FASS in Bombay to get it checked again.
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Don't take chances. The present belt has done it's job excellently i would say. But 75,000 is getting high. Sometimes when they break , they can cause some more damage. Last month, the auxillary belt on the Palio D broke and wrapped around the crank pulley - jamming the engine solid in the middle of the road.

Get it replaced just for the sake of preventive maintenance. ;)
    2 people like this.
  7. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    How is that the SC does'nt even recommend changing the belt. They should add this part in the 60k servicing and just change it as a standard practice. My car 76K+ kms driven the SA during @60k and 75K servicing have not even mentioned replacing the belt. Now I am not sure whether even they have even checked the belt.

Kiran
    1 person likes this.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    A belt can get torn like that only when the pulley are not aligned pefectly, auto tentioner of belt is not working or when accessories which are attached to belt present undue stress on them (slight jamming/resistance in moving mostly happens in waterpump or AC)
    2 people like this.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The TASS always stressing on Timing chain change at 60k and said OK for belts after checking the condition/tension.I think there are two belts running Alternator, AC compressor and water pump.
    I bet one also have to listen to any noise for signs to change.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. They checked it for any such eventualities in the service centre and couldnot find any. However at present i am not reading much into this and accounting the regular wear and tear to have caused this..