1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Causes for instrument cluster failure

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by nishweth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Patchyboy! i wasn't aware of this.

But I still feel it is possible to calibrate the ECU to throw out the vital warning lights like say the overheating warning.
    After all, its the ECU that receives the info from the coolant temperature sensor and other sensors on the engine.

I get your point, but still feel it is very much possible to isolate the BCU from these vital tasks
    At least now, when it is known to have a high rate of failure.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The problem is, FIAT's electronics are leagues ahead of the competition and that ironically has become a pain point for a few users. Actually, it is the ECU that monitors these vital parameters. When it detects a fault, it sends a signal to the BCM over the CAN bus, which in turn sends a signal to the Dashboard module, again over the CAN bus to activate the relevant LED / message. They all work in tandem and now redesigning something so complex and advanced would actually be taking a step backwards :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Engine temperature needle gone way down the normal mark.
    Warranty approved for cluster replacement and waiting for the part to arrive. :).
  4. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    MID failure due to either battery failure or subsequent battery reconnection activity

I have an update here. I took the car to the ASC where the service executive declared the MID unit gone bad (with out a thorough check) and initiated warranty replacement action and I am waiting for the part to arrive. Meanwhile yesterday out of curiosity,I disconnected the battery _ve terminal and reconnected it after a few minutes. And when I started the car again every thing seems to be fine ie the ODO does not flash anymore. Only,I dont know how long it will remain like this. Now what do I do when the warranty part arrives and the original defect does not reappear ? Do I insist that they fit the new part anyway ? Members' advise sought !
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

If your cluster is changed under warranty, then your ODO would start again from 0. If you are okay with it and if FASS is willing to change, go ahead. Else wait for problem to re-occur.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Once a warranty claim is made and approved, FASS will replace it anyway. No need to worry.

Not quite true buddy. FASS will have to do a Proxi Alignment after fitting the new cluster, for it to function, which will result in the ODO value stored in the ECU to be written. This might mean a few kilometers more or less than what was being displayed earlier, based on the ODO error, but it will not resume from zero all over again.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    NO it vl start from proper kms There is certain procedure to be follow at the time of installation so that time new cluster will get values from BCM/ECU and ODO will start from actual kms

On 15 aug my punto MID also failed while i was setting clock

DSC_0871.jpg DSC_0870.jpg

Cluster is around 28000 Rs.
    I have talked with SA as per him it may happen because of moisture. They have changed around 4 clusters in last 1 month
    Rudresh S likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The OP in that thread never responded to the question "Did it start from Zero?". All he had to say was false reading. If the cluster in your car or in LineaLover's car is replaced today, we will see the difference we noticed between the ECU and the ODO last weekend in your cars. That could very well mean "False Reading" to a regular car user.

Rajan
  10. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Fingers crossed, tomorrow I am giving my punto for a cluster replacement.
    Dont know what would be the Kilometer reading after replacement.
    Guys do i need to note down any other reading or setting before they remove the old one?