1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Causes for instrument cluster failure

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by nishweth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Hai I have seen many linea having problem with instrument cluster but can't figure out the cause for this. Please put in some inputs for the cause.
  2. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    I have had a recent experience in which the ODO reads OK, keeps updating , but flashes continuously. After some time the dispaly lighted up fully and remained like that for a few days. Again after few more days the display went completely blank and remained like that for 2 weeks. Now after 2 weeks, it is back to the initial condition ie every thing is fine with the exception of ODO flashing !

Immediately prior to this defect , my car battery got fully discharged due to the rear camera remained ON for a few days when the car was unused. (This should not have happened, but it was found that the system was connected to battery line by mistake!) I removed the discharged battery and took it to a shop for a full charge and fitted it back. Everything seemed fine for a day and the second day the MID problems appeared.

Let us hope for some comments/advise from the forum !
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The 90HP is facing this now.

The instrument lights never came up, nor the MID, once the car was stalled.

Without any other option on the toll gate, the car was push started. Don't flame me, car was with my bro.

Now, today, the MID lcd goes crazy, the instrument console lights up randomly like a Christmas tree, and the media player turns off and on randomly. Seems like the BCU is shot.

Going to Vecto tomorrow, with no other option.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The car is not starting nor locking now. Bloody BCU! Have manually locked the doors for now.

So guys who are having same symptoms please get your BCU checked before you get stranded somewhere.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Oops. Are you stranded now?
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

No Ramesh, had an alternate mode of transport at disposal thankfully. :)

No one from Vecto seems to be interested. Trying to reach them from morning.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Why not call RSA? If the car is not motorable, RSA can be availed.
    1 person likes this.
  8. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Try to touch base with KHT. Heard tht they are prompt.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Chennai
    Driv3r, that's sad :(
    Your babe will get well soon!

Not a reason for worry. AFAIK, there is nothing that can go wrong by push starting the car when it cannot self crank.
    If its the possibility of damage to the clutch plate that you are worried about, yes. but even that shouldn't be a cause of worry with just one push start.

@FIAT India, Why wouldn't the car start with a failed BCU? That is not a component that's mandatory for the car to be mobile.
    Let the light not work, let the power windows, AC, central locking and music not work, but the car has to start and run. The ECU has to be powered independently.

Letting the car being immobile for a failure mode not associated with what's very basic for the car to operate is not acceptable, at all.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There is something that can go wrong and it is not the clutch. Jump starting the engine by pushing or driving downhill, can cause a flow of fuel into the catalytic converter and damage it beyond repair.

Apart from these, the BCM is also responsible for various warnings that are in the console. This means that if the car is allowed to run with a dysfunctional BCM, the coolant can run dry, the engine overheat and you will never know about it (till the engine siezes, of course), as there will be no warning displayed.

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    2 people like this.