1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by thanujj, Aug 5, 2012.

1. thanujj

thanujj Timido

kannur
    Any one tried removing the catalytic converter?i got a punto 1.4 petrol dynamic.heared that replacing the cat con with straight thru pipe will increase power?i know about environmental problems.other than that will it increase power?is there any mileage shortage? how will the ecu react ?if i remove the battery connection and reconnect it whether the ecu will reset fo catalytic con?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

i don't think by removing the Cat con alone will add any extra power. by adding a performance air filter like K&N may help.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    You will probably lose your warranty doing this.

Secondly, the 1.4 has a integrated exhaust manifold + cat . So you cannot just delete the cat easily. You'll have to cut the cat off and weld a straight pipe on. Also, you'll have to make provisions to install the Lambda sensor on the straight pipe.

Easy? Not.

Your best bet is to purchase a complete 'cat delete' setup from the UK/Italy etc market.

Not worth the effort anyway you look at it. Just enjoy the Punto as is. For more power, a T-Jet is always available. ;)

Cheers.
  4. Is it essential to have a lambda sensor there?
    Also will it have any effect on the low / mid range in terms of power?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes, else the ECU will not know what it has to do. Like Alice in Wonderland.