1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carputer for FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rajeev_pillai, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi SHEA,
    Thanks for the comments. Now I can prove to my wife that people like me do exists!!.;)
    Can you please post the model number of the board, so that I can check the specs.
    Audio out from PC can be directly connected to the amp for better audibility.

Regarding the display, I doubt whether your ORVM display can be used with the P.C, check for the monitor specs (resolution).
    Also the screen I am using has a touchscreen overlay so that it can be used while driving also.
    Adding a touchscreen to normal monitor is possible but needs opening the monitor and screwing up the warranty or monitor itself:uh.

All the best for your project!!!!

Rajeev
    1 person likes this.
  2. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Ofcourse you can count me in :)
    And i strongly second you for the thought wifes are big hindrance for PROJECTS like this :)
    Viotech 3200+ :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR
    Kindly please check the above link.
    Also already i am using a sony xplod sub and a bass tube in the car.hope that can also be used in the project.
    Anyway thank you so much for the prompt support.
    I was going through the carmp3 forums.those guys are really awesome.for there guys there s no limit for their imaginations i think.like using sound blaster sound cards to create surround sound in the car.lot of innovative ideas.anyway i have decided to do something in my own way and lets see how its gonna end.thank you once again rajeev

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Rajeev the display i was saying has got a usb port through which films and music can be played.though i had not ever used it much.but am sure the display quality is well above just ok.even though its some chineese product.am thinking this way cuz it can be a very big shortcut to the result as the hurdle for installing a display is bypassed.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Rajeev the display i was saying has got a usb port through which films and music can be played.though i had not ever used it much.but am sure the display quality is well above just ok.even though its some chineese product.am thinking this way cuz it can be a very big shortcut to the result as the hurdle for installing a display is bypassed.
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2

My comments in bold
    Call me on 'zero nine nine eight seven five three nine five seven three' if you need any help.
    Rajeev
  4. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Rajeev i have dropped the display issue as you said it wont work.did a bit of more digging up and found finally that even after using an expensive converter it wont give good results.am so interested in the lilliput.don know how am gonna source it.i found a site stieveg.org in which he has used the via processor with good results.am also plannin to buy the psu from iride.and thanx for your number.will call you later in the eve.
    And one most important doubt which i should have asked the first time itself.you have been with the car pc for almost a year now.whats your opinion?are you still satisfied with it.any problems?how long will it take to boot?is it responding soon?and how s the bt function?any battery issues?are you still using the wind shelf mound for the anchor?planning for any dash fabrication? :)
    Too many questions,right? Sorry
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,
    Monotor and PSU you can source from Sheldon (iride). But the combo may cost you between 15-20K. His models are same as Lilliput.
    He also got an in-dash motorized one which can be used in single DIN space. (I heard about the mechanical parts failure).
    I bought the most economical one from AMS Impex and it is HITACHI make (monitor) with an touchscreen overlay (4 wire resistive). Don't expect it to be as smooth as touchscreen mobiles/ tabs (capacitive).

Now answer to the most important and crucial question..Yes I am satisfied with the performance, though it gave me surprises.:eek:
    Once I was demonstrating the features to my friends and the navigation got stuck in between. But it is a head turner. :dance

Only issue is placement of monitor. As you can see I am still struggling with it. Planning to fabricate a bezel on top of the dash and place the monitor there, using the suction mount for the time being, but it blocks the view in certain positions.:(

It takes almost a minute to boot (note that I am using the normal XP install (not nLite version). Response time is depend on your front end software . I am currently using Centrafuse 3 and it is bit slow during start-up, after that it works effortless.

To make the bluetooth perfect you need a high quality dongle. Don't go for the cheap 100Rs. one buy a DLink/Belkin/Bluesoleil one.

My pc's power consumption is below 50w so it is fine with the battery.

Most important: Installation has to be done by a professional, else it will be a disaster.

I think nothing is missed out....

Rajeev
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Mohdshea, Viotech 3200+ MB is micro ATX (22X17 cm). Mini-ITX is 17X17cm. just for your info
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Bak,
    He's having a Linea, he can use MicroATX cabinets and place the P.C in the boot. :)

Rajeev
  8. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Thanx bak
    So in your opinion will the final cpu be much larger compared to the itx?
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    may be slightly bigger, but my intention was to make you aware of size of the board so you can choose your cabinet appropriately.
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If you are using MicroATX MoBo, u need to get MicroATX cabinets (Zebronics etc).
    M350 which I used is a MiniITX cabinet so as iRide, VroomPC, ByByte etc.
    My Mobo is miniITX form factor (17 x 17).

Regards