1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carputer for FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rajeev_pillai, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Karthik,
    Just start with manual startup and shutdown, at a later stage, you can add the automation.
    1. Wire a parallel fused line from the battery, Get a DC pin that can be suited for the laptop and power it from there. For extra safety modify the power saving options to shutdown if inactive for say 10min.

2. Open the laptop, if you can solder pair of wires parallel to the power switch, you are half done. If you cannot, find a friendly neighborhood computer repair guy, he can do it for you... Fix a push button switch (momentary on) and keep it at a convenient location.

3. Buy the cheapest available VGA touch screen. wire the power connection for monitor from ACC. Use the VGA out to connect to it and a usb cable for Touch control. Install the drivers and calibrate the screen.

4. Get any of the carputer front end software, RideRunner, Centrafuse, OpenMobile etc, install and configure.

5. Test it properly before installing in the car..

PM me if you face any issue or feel free to call me at nine nine eight seven five three nine five seven three.

All the best for you project...

Rajeev
  2. -xplora-

-xplora-

hi..

great thread !

have a question reg your carputer, checking pics on the first post are you using a regular 2.5 hdd? Wouldnt it be better off with an SSD or atleast a ruggedized shockproof mount, obviously I am considering driving on roads in India hence the query. I was in two minds and spent lot of time, then finally thought android + SSD + dual or quad core tablets make more sense, please let me know your experience on using intel / x86 + hdd.
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi -xplora- ,
    Thanks for the comments.

You are correct, I am using 2.5" laptop HDD. Main reason was cost-effectiveness. But I have not faced any issues so far (touch wood). I have driven through almost all types of roads and it is working fine. Once my son dropped it on the floor while the p.c was at home. So i think its enough for time being.
    Tabs r gud, only u need to get a good mount. But the accessory support, expansion and storage are limited.

Rajeev
  4. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Rajeev, could you please consolidate all the parts that went in with source and price. Thanks, BTW how is the performance of the screen in sunlight (is this touch screen?)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,
    Check this excel file http://www.teamfiat.co.in/attachmen...ter-fiat-grande-punto-1-2-active-carputer.xls

Most of the components are sourced from ebay, so the links may not work
    Screen is touch screen from AMS Impex (4wire resistive) and is readable in sunlight, never had any trouble.

regards,
    Rajeev
  6. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats QUICK!!!! Thanks a lot.
  7. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    what is the resolution of the screen? (800X600 or 800X480), does this support 800X600 resolution on VGA? Thanks, BAK
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    you are quick, for the enquiry i had submited for the product, tech spec attached mentions 800X480, thats reason behind posting the question, thanks BAK
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    hi bak,
    From where are you trying to source the monitor? and what is the cost? the mentioned resilution is fine for a car pc if we are using a front-end software.
    I am using Centrafuse 3.0

Rajeev