1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carputer for FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rajeev_pillai, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore

http://www.carputer-world.com/

Donno, from where you can source them.

Good job on the Carputer, amazing skill & patience you have mate ;)

carputer1.jpg

carputer2.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Cubbie,
    I am trying to source an iPad mount locally. let me test that first.
    Updated the latest satguide OneIndia maps, but still i don't like it. The search option that they have is very crude (city & street).

Rajeev
  3. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    That a nice carputer that you have now done with. Its really impressive. Your patience and persistance has paid off Rajeev. Good show. By the way use the sygic maps they are really good and they do have state wise maps available. They are powered by MMI and are better than Satguide in my opinion.
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Kailash,
    MMI doesn't have sygic maps/application for windows platform. Also Centrafuse (front end) supports destinator only.
    But during torrent search I found a cracked version of sygic application, but the maps are quite old.

Rajeev
  5. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Hey guys,

With just an old laptop in my hand, what all would I need to make a Carputer out of this for my Palio. What I could identify are:

1) Need some means to source power to the laptop. What are my options and what would be feasible?
    2) A touch screen that plugs to the VGA out of the laptop
    3) A BT dongle.
    4) A 3G connection over a USB device.

Please let me know of indicative costs that I would need to incur too

My car is presently equipped with a HU+AMP+COMPONENT SPEAKERS+OVALS+Sub Woofer. Would it be an overload on the battery alternator?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2

1) If your lappys battery is working perfectly, you can fit it using an adapter. Just override the power button. But if you want to automate the startup or shutdown, then it is complex.

2) Price ranges from 35$ to >250$, but fixing it on the dashboard is quite difficult. I am using AMS Impex's economy series monitor (INR. 7350+ delivery charges)

3) Get a good quality BT dongle + an array mic for better voice clarity.

Front end softwares, lot of choices RideRunner/Centrafuse/OpenMobile etc.

GPS receiver (hardware+ software).

OBD scan tool

4) If you want to surf on the move, then you can go for it. I am having a TATA indicom dialer (on the move) + WiFi adapter (to connect to home network)

Please feel to ask, if you need anymore information, and all the best for you project
  7. great going..
    please post pics of final product
  8. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Rajeev,

The battery on the lappy is almost dead. Last I checked 6 months ago, it could hold on for 5 minutes backup. I will figure out some way, even if its ugly looking...lol, on where to place the screen. I also do not need the GPS immediately. I will also check out what front end software to use and yes, I would get myself a very good mic. Some more questions:

1) It is complex, in terms of cost or to adapt to automation of startup/shutdown?
    2) Can my Palio Stile MJD be fitted for OBD scan tool
  9. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Karthik,
    Check the posts 5 & 6 for startup/shutdown automation.
    http://www.mp3car.com/newbie/18294-laptop-carputer-noobie-needs-help.html#post134578.
    Regarding OBDII, when we tested it on Kailashnj's car, it was not working. But in my car (1.2 FIRE) it is working fine. Better test it before buying the interface. (it costs arnd INR. 900).

You need to wire a separate fused power line from the battery for the laptop. Also check the max current drawn by the laptop.

Rajeev

Rajeev
  10. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    This is too much for me to comprehend.:uh

Do anyone of you know a place in Bangalore where I can get this done? I mean power the laptop by car battery and adapt to automation of startup/shutdown