1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carputer for FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rajeev_pillai, Nov 11, 2010.

1. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Monitor

Attaching some of the photos of the monitor in action. Please ignore the messy surroundings. :p

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

DSC_0546-001.jpg
    Yes It come with a wireless headphone too.

DSC_0539.jpg
    17" desktop monitor in the background

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

Any idea about the roof support rails? Last week I opened the dome light and tried to find a support beam, however couldn't find any.
    I am planning to place this in place of the dome light and shift the light to the back.
    It will surely block the RVM but I have a solution for that also.

Rajeev
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I was thinking of using the same P.S.U with a tank battery; however found that Pico PSU doesn’t regulate the voltage variations. Also it needs a steady 12v input; else it may fry itself or the motherboard. So finally I decided to place order for M3-ATX 120W P.S.U.

Now the main issue is that it needs to be sourced from U.S and the unit price is 65$ which is close to 4K whereas eBay global buy is offering at INR. 6190. I have requested the seller for a combined shipping price for P.S.U and other accessories. Haven’t got any reply yet. Meanwhile I am looking for someone returning from U.S as they can carry it along and save some money for me. It doesn't weigh too much nor having the size (size and weight of a matchbox with some wires attached).

If anybody can help me with this, please pm me.

Rajeev
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Can anybody suggest a good adhesive available locally similar to liquid nail or silkaflex?
    I want to fix a mdf board to the car roof and fix the monitor base plate to the board.
    This is to avoid load on the headliner.

Rajeev
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    You mean, you want to stick a MDF board to the metal on the car roof, underneath the roof liner? 3M Scotch-Weld Toughened Epoxy Adhesive DP920 might be a good choice. Not very sure about availability, though. 3M DP 100 Epoxy might be a good alternative, though it has lesser work life. Available here.

Remember to roughen up the contact surface of the MDF with some 80 grit paper first :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes Rajan, MDF will be glued to the metal roof to avoid load on roof liner. It also cover the gap between roof and roof liner.
    I had contacted 3M India and got a mail from them for asking more details.
    I have replied to them with all possible details.

Rajeev
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nice. But personally, I would choose acrylic or HDPE block for this application instead of MDF.

Rajan
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Rajan, however I don't know from where I can source these :(
    MDF or even wood is easily available.

Rajeev
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I got reply from 3M suggesting 3M Scotch-Weld Toughened Epoxy Adhesive DP460.
    I don't understand the technical data specified in the datasheet. Please help.

Rajeev

Attached Files:

9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh. There is a lot of information on the PDF. Is there anything specific you want me to explain? Also, I do not understand why 3M recommends this. I do not see any mention of wood anywhere in the document.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I asked 3M guys about the difference between DP920 and DP460, and which one is preferred.
    Let's see what they reply.

BTW, the carputer is under rigorous testing and is working as expected.
    Automated startup/ shutdown is also working perfectly.
    The SSD had brought down the booting time to average 12 seconds.

I contacted Rajatdeep Overseas (RD) for night vision reverse cam, but the quoted price was too high (25mm for Rs. 2250)
    So I may be getting Xenos/ Worldtech for much lesser price from ebay.

Rajeev
    1 person likes this.