1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carputer for FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Active

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rajeev_pillai, Nov 11, 2010.

1. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    First of all Great Carputer, Just love the mini ITX case.

I was thinking about the same for my GP 1.2 Active. But I found out a more practical solution(i.e according to me).

1. Why not use a 2nd hand Netbook & mod it. i.e remove the screen & keyboard & install a touchscreen monitor.
    2. Use the Netbook as it is & get a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder chip installed + Add Extended battery backup.( for Older generation Netbooks without HD support)
    3. Get a Brand new Intel/AMD netbook & Add Extended battery.
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Fabricating a Dashboard mount...at last

Hi All,
    Finally I am fabricating a dashboard mount to fit the touchscreen monitor, without altering anything on the dashboard.
    Thanks to TFI member Rajan for the idea and design.:clap I used his diagram as reference, but used GI sheet instead of ABS plastic.
    The metal sheet is very easy to work with. Also I just needed the back plate to fix the monitor.

Now only the finishing touches are pending. Planning to cover it with PU with similar texture as of the dashboard.
    Got some of the WIP snaps, will post it later...

Rajeev
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Cool. Glad my idea was of help. I did consider GI and aluminium sheets first. They sure are easier to work with. The only downside I felt was that they might scratch the fascia, due to vibrations during driving by virtue of being harder and hence the decision to use ABS.

Please do post pics when complete.

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Rajeev, Try for the windows 8 upgrade from XP you'll have better experience with touch screen support
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Surya,
    I am getting familiarized to Win 8, but for now I am using Centrafuse on Win XP which is a front end software for CarPCs. You can find the screenshots here.

Another update is that I am upgrading laptop HDD to SSD and getting a high quality bluetooth dongle for better voice clarity.

Rajeev
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I have updated the HDD to SSD and re-installed windows. During the setup the molex connector I used was getting loose and the P.C was restarting frequently. So I decided to get rid of that and connect the wires directly. I did that and when I switched the pc again, some smoke came from the VGA connector side and the monitor display went off. :eek:
    Yes... I successfully smoked the setup!!! :cry:. Verified the monitor by connecting to other pc, it is gone...Now don't have enough courage to check the CPU and PSU.

Lesson learned: Don't work when you are really tired, the excitement of DIY may push you to cross the limits, but don't do that...:A:A

Rajeev
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Bad luck buddy. You have stated the first commandment of DIY. Never ever push yourself to the point of no return. The joy of DIY lies in the restraint you exhibit.

Hope the damage is not too bad. BTW, what is the capacity of the SSD and how much did it cost you?

Rajan
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It is Intel 80GB SSD, I paid Rs. 2,875.00 and is a used one.
    Already bought another monitor (Xenarc 700TR) as the current one is damaged badly so the repair costs are coming closer to its price.

Rajeev
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had shelved my car-pc plan, i got an AMS impex monitor, which i want to sell, if anybody is interested please let me know.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Reviving the carputer..

Last week, I was sitting idle at home. So took the carputer cpu and monitor out.
    To confirm and assess the damage, I first checked the monitor by powering it up. As expected, it was not working. So next was CPU’s turn, the motherboard had an L.E.D on it which used to glow when it is powered. It was blinking momentarily and was going off. So I removed the P.S.U (M3-ATX 125W DC-DC) and connected it to my desktop pc. It was not working on that also. So the conclusions were like Monitor, P.S.U and Motherboard gone.:(

Then I remembered that I am having a Pico P.S.U which I bought by mistake. I had to search a lot to find that because it was kept very securely.;) Connected it and turned on the switch viola!!!, the pc booted and started loading windows. That was one of the relaxing moments I ever had. Due to SSD and nLited Windows, it booted in less than 15 seconds. Switched off, fixed all the components back and started installing the missing softwares. I think should name is as "Phoenix".

However I couldn’t succeed because nLite had removed some of the system components due to which .NET framework was not getting installed. Reinstalled Windows XP along with all required softwares like Centrafuse, BlueSoleil, Holux GPS drivers etc. Also connected the new screen Xenarc 700TR, which I sourced from U.S for mere 70$. However the model is discontinued and is not good as other Xenarc models. But the touch and display brightness are better than the AMS Impex one. The monitor also got 2 aux video input and an IR head phone. It doesn't have the auto switching to AUX functionality. One AUX can be used to connect a reverse parking camera while the other can be connected to a DVD player in future.

700TR.jpg

Rajeev
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    2 people like this.