1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carpet replaced with vinyl. Having trouble with mats !!!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by sriramr9, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Ever since i got the car's floor carpet covered with vinyl, i am facing issues of floor mats. They just do not stay put at one place. I have two sets of door mats now, the synthetic black one given by the OEM supplier, the second one was after market hard rubber with treads to hold tight.

One major issue is the rear center hump . The OEM mat supplied is insufficient and does not hold tight and escapes the velcro hold. i tried in several places and never been able to source one.

Right now, every time i carry rear seat passengers, after the drive, i have to for sure work on the rear mats to manually re correct their position.

Has anyone done a similar install and if yes, please let know how to install the mats which would not budge. One idea is to buy velcro's and anabond them one on both ends. but not sure if will work out on the long run. Might even lead to the tear of the vinyl. Please help.

II. I affixed Govt, approved number plate but was never given a sticker on the front glass. Is the sticker on the front glass mandatory. DSCN1376.jpg DSCN1377.jpg DSCN1378.jpg rear carpet.jpg Unable to hold position, slithers down into the front seats rear carpet.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Try tucking the floor mats under the 'holders' at the side. uploadfromtaptalk1392630118077.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  3. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    My dad had installed the same kind of vinyl on our K10, and after trying various things to
    keep the mats in place. I have completely removed them from the driver side for now! :-D

I am now thinking of removing the vinyl or going for 3M nomad type mats.
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    By the way where is vinyl is above pictures. Sorry but I am confused :confused.
  5. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Vinyl here refers to the layer of vinyl(?) sheet that's applied over the oe floor carpet. Its a utilitarian mod.
    Ps- for better clarification, the beige floor mat in the first set of pics and the black one in my post. :)
  6. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Nishanth, Saw the pictures and feel like would be a apt idea. But how to affix the buttons both male and females sides on the mat and the vinyl. I mean will anabond or fewikwik do the job of holding them forver given the dusty area that it is .

I thought of velcro before but again concerned of the vinyl getting torn on subsequent use.

@sine04 : I try it before but the size of the mat is much more than the clearence left in the edges hence could not try beyond the limits. too much pressure is not good for the panels as well.. Anyways will consider and see if i can try using a different means.

@mnranjeeth: Are 3M nomad type mats water proof as well. How can NOMAD mats replace the utility provided by a Vinly floor.

Finally wanted to draw one conclusion as to whether to retain the vinyl or scrap it once in for all.
  8. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Sriram, if you have plans to rip off the vinyl floor why not give it a try to stick the press buttons with Fevi Kwik for the rear floor & Velcro for the front floor :) ...

Suggestion: Why not buy 3D kagu type mats (Dont buy universal size) & use it on the present Vinyl floor. That should server the purpose & save the present vinyl floor too ?? :D

Or

Try to cut only the part where velcro sits on the vinyl (something like Vinyl floor is sandwiched between floor.

Untitled.png
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    If its not too much trouble, could you please share some pics of the floor mats?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Good idea put in pictorial form. But pl confirm, should the vinyl be cut and what for? the velcro set will come with male type and also the softer nylon strand type as well which will need to be stuck on the vinyl and to do that, no cutting on vinyl, please correct me here, if my understanding is not in sync.

I already have a cheaper variant of one set of mats, not as expensive as 3d kagu but it does have soe corrugations in the bottom for grip. But still the vinly is too slippery. Thanks for time spent for this..

@sine04: Will share pics today night. in mean time. are you telling me to push the black mats in between the panels and the vinyl. am i right ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Good idea put in pictorial form. But pl confirm, should the vinyl be cut and what for? the velcro set will come with male type and also the softer nylon strand type as well which will need to be stuck on the vinyl and to do that, no cutting on vinyl, please correct me here, if my understanding is not in sync.

I already have a cheaper variant of one set of mats, not as expensive as 3d kagu but it does have soe corrugations in the bottom for grip. But still the vinly is too slippery. Thanks for time spent for this..

@sine04: Will share pics today night. in mean time. are you telling me to push the black mats in between the panels and the vinyl. am i right ?