1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Carbon Fibre or Fibre Glass parts??

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by AsylumKing, Jan 11, 2012.

1. AsylumKing

AsylumKing Timido

Kiel/Coimbatore
    Hello!!

So I'm a complete noob so please excuse me if what i'm about to mention sounds funny. But would be most happy if I could get a few inputs. I am looking to reduce the weight of my Linea. So here are my ideas:

1. Use sparco's instead of the stock seats in front.
    2. Mine is an Emotion so thought i'd upgrade to alloy wheels.
    3. Do away with the stock mats and use race mats instead.
    4. In half a mind if I should use puncture sealant and do away with my spare tire and jack.
    5. Most importantly though, would like to replace my hood, trunk and front wing panels with Carbon fibre or fibre glass parts. Thing is, I just don't know where to source these for a Linea :( Does anyone have any info on this? I live in Coimbatore so am wondering if Kit-Up or Tuners Inc. would be able to help me.

Doing this with a view to increase pick-up on my car. Have already bought a tuning box that has been shipped from Germany, should reach me in a couple of days.

Thank You
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi there,

I have a suggestion. The Linea is an economy level (relatively) family sedan. It'll do you a lot of good if you keep it that way and not try and make it some sort of souped up Mitsubishi Evo.

Secondly, there is no way you can replace any of those parts you mentioned with carbon fibre ones. Even if carbon fibre hood or trunk panel is available or you get it custom fabricated, it'll probably cost as much as a new Punto. Carbon fibre is expensive, very. Ofcourse, you can paste Carbon fibre look alike vinyl on these parts if you wish. ;)

I'm not sure what race mats are, but if you mean the Kagu 3D mats, then yes, that's a great investment.

Enjoy the Linea for what it has and what it stands for. Do not try and make it what it was never intended to be.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  3. AsylumKing

AsylumKing Timido

Kiel/Coimbatore
    Thank You Gurjinder,

I fully understand and appreciate what you meant. However it occurred to me i'd have the feeling of gaining a few more horses on shedding some weight, given the fact that its torque to weight ratio is one of the lowest around at about 160 Nm/ton. With a tuning box enhancing the torque to about 260, I should be able to push that bar to about 201 Nm/ton and was wondering if I could extract more.
    Anyhow, thanx a lot. Cheers!
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There are a few threads on TFI discussing tuning boxes . Have a read. You'll know both the pros and cons of the tuning box.

Cheers.