1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Sickness : Why ? and How to avoid ?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by srida, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    My wife did have this car sickness when my brother drives the car, but not when I drive. When my brother mostly drives at 110-130+kmph, I rarely cross 100 when driving with family. If I touch 120 or beyond, it's mostly on straight empty stretches, not requiring quick manoeuvring.

Punto is a driver's car, you can draw an imaginary line full of twists and turns, and you can drive on that line with 99.99% accuracy at reasonable speed, and you enjoy doing that. :)

It will be a good idea to reduce the speed at ghat sections and curvy roads. Maintain at 60-70 which I think is (un?)reasonable. High manoeuvrability of FIATs should not be taken as reason to ignore the comfort of co-passengers.
    3 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Is your driving style the same when driving either of the three cars.

In my personal case , my mother has been the most comfortable travelling in the Linea. Thanks to the Linea i can do Gurgaon-Mohali non-stop whereas earlier i had to stop midway to give rest/light walk+tea to my mother and father.

Disclaimer - I am a very sedate driver. :)
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    During my recent Chikmagalur trip, I too had similar experience. Since it was noon time, had rolled up windows, switched on the AC and was happily (at good speed) negotiating twists and turns of the ghat road in my Punto enjoying the drive :steering. Little later realised that it was becoming too much for rear occupants. So rolled down the windows, started driving sedately till the ghats are over .... My experience was - person occupying the middle seat at the rear is troubled the most due to lack of any grip to hold onto unlike the corner seated passengers
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. Yes the driving style is the same, but punto's behavior adds more to my style :-D

Next time on the hills, I will try rolling down the windows, sedate driving,........
  5. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

my friends used to say the sickness in my palio, when I roll down the windows the complaints were less.
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

If you see my tarvelogiue of Goa..my wife had problems in swift because it was throwing around in Ghats but Punto was easy fo her..

I think its has to do with ur driving style..yes the steering is responsive but you need to control it..

I ghat roads what I do is I maintain a small & feeble steering motion instead of quick left/rights like in highway....

Also,like u kissed ur car ,I have kissed many times too..just a "swish" on steering and u escape danger...:)..just so precise
    2 people like this.
  7. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My Wife & a friend are both having serious problem of car sickness. This friend even if he travels a KM by any mode of transport ( By Road/Sea) gets into serious problem. However, both of them donot have any problem when they drive :).

8. theblack

theblack Esperto

it helps a lot to wear seat belts on the ghats and the up and down movements can be greatly reduced..
    I've had such encounters with my wife as well.. She does not have any issues in the ghats if travelling in a bus or even their santro but only in my punto the other day while i was enjoying the ghats my wife started to feel sour and i HAD to stop playing on the ghats..

Some pointers that i feel help are..
    1.) never drink any aerated or soda drinks while driving in the ghats
    2.) always roll the windows down the fresh breeze calms things down .. sometimes even the driver can get sick because of the stale air in the cabin ...
    3.) Eat light, or don't eat at all during the ghat drive. (you can much all you want after reaching the top)
    4.) Concentrating on one or 2 things you find on the road really really helps as it takes the subconscious away from the monotonous right left right left feeling .
    5.) wear seat belts wear seat belts wear seat belts...
    5 people like this.
  9. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

My wife & elder daughter have this problem. My wife used to complain more in Wagon-R but since I bought Linea she never complained. My daughter still feels sickness. I think it depends a lot on your driving style & things can be tough when climbing uphill. As oxygen level & atmospheric pressure reduces it makes difficult for body to accumulate with outside condition. Best way to avoid car sickness is-
    1. Keep you windows open & enjoy fresh breeze
    2. Eat light & no oily food before start journey
    3. Drive at constant & moderate speed. No sharp cuts at high speed
    4. Take Avomin, 1 pill for adult & 1/2 pill for kids 15-30mins before start of journey. Because once you start sickness & then take this pill will not help you to avoid nausea feeling
    5. Carry sickness bag in seat pocket, in case you can't stop your car in time & person sitting on rear seat can't through out as Linea windows doesn't open fully
    6. keep some conversation ON, so person will distract his attention & feel better
    3 people like this.
  10. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I have never faced an issue of motion sickness in my Punto so far, in whatever driving style.
    My mother, father, sister, niece and friends with their child have been for long distance travells (800- 900 KMs) in my punto and have never felt any issue.
    My mother and sister used to have this motion sickness issue sometimes when travelling in Volvo buses but never in my Punto.
    My mother actually feels lot better in Punto that she never wants to travel in a Volvo or Bus again, I have to take her to every place in my Punto now :-D

I would suggest using Orange chocolates when this motion sickness is felt. My mother and sister used this trick with some success!!
    I think motion sickness is not because of the Car itself but due to multiple factors like
    -- Drving style
    -- Interior smell/quality
    -- Passenger comfort etc