1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Sickness : Why ? and How to avoid ?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by srida, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Car Sickness (Motion Sickness)

There is no doubt, Fiats especially MJDs makes the driver feel great when driven on ghats and curvy hill roads. I love making every other car owners feel embarrassed for not owning a FIAT, by negotiating sharp curves and steep inclines, easily and quickly. With such a responsive steering and precise dynamics, a FIAT driver would forget everything else when he/she is driving on hills. Forgetting includes the motion sickness suffered by the passengers inside the car, atleast in my case. The one thing I hate with my punto is the same thing I love the most in this car, 'The Responsiveness'.

Once in a Highway drive, all of a sudden I see a pit not closed properly and the Pit is inline with my right wheels. A lorry on the right side lane and a speeding car from the rear, with no other options, I have to make a sharp left turn to avoid the right wheels hitting the pit, but if I turn left, immediately in no time I have to take a right turn to avoid the car left headlamp hitting a pole. The speed is 100 ~ KMPH. A situation to worry. But Fiat has ensured I need not worry. I took the sharp left turn and a immediate right turn in 90 KMPH speed and that happened like nothing happened. The responsiveness of the car was so fantastic I just kissed my car with so much of love on it. But the same responsiveness when unleashed on a ghats and hills, oops even I sometimes feel car sick and my passengers (wife and kid) gets this every time we drive on the hills. Last time my Dad, who has spent 5 years of his career travelling up and down on ghats in those old matador van without any issues, felt bad about the car sickness he gets when he travels in my Punto. I would blame the car's responsiveness, which is nothing but the quick change in direction along with the soft suspension brings nightmare to the passengers in my car when they think about the travelling on hills on my punto.

If I drive slowly the sickness can be reduced to 50 % but I don't enjoy the drive. If I drive enjoyable, then the trip becomes un-enjoyable by the passengers which in-turn affects me. So anyways a hill trip is not enjoyable. I am starting this as a thread because None of my family members have this travel sickness/car sickness/ motion sickness or whatever all these days and came into them only after they traveled in my punto. My family, are all diehard fans of travelling to hills for the vacation. We have been doing it for almost 2 decades from the days of our maruthi 800, Indica, Santro, Swift and now Punto. In all these cars, Santro is the worst. Indica is the best. But my worry is, Punto stands next to the Santro in giving a bad hill travel experience to the passengers. Swift is next to Punto and 800 is the second best. Funny isn't it ? but I am worried for my car, what if they start hating my car for this.

Now what I wish to discuss are

1. Is Car Sickness suffered by other Punto / Linea owners and their passengers ?
    2. If no, then should there be any issues with my car ?
    3. If this issue is common with FIAT, how can this Car Sickness be avoided, in the sense

• what is the best driving style ?
    • what medications for both prevention and cure ?
    • how one can get rid of this permanently like some kinda exercise, meditation or anything that has worked out ?
    1 person likes this.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Srida, do you drive with windows rolled up on ghats? i always drive with windows rolled down enjoying the breeze on ghats.. guess that helps!!

also one very important thing: do all the passengers wear seatbelts?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    5 people like this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Have not experienced car sickness till now in Linea on hills.
    Even on 31 dec night I was in shimla. While I was very careful and slow while going uphill as traffic was very high, but while coming back @ 2:30 am in night I was shooting it around 80 km/hr at most of curves as road was totally empty.
    My brother and me didn't experienced any sickness but he was sleeping and falling here and there on the curves.
    It's a joy to drive Linea on hills, the way she turns, accelerate and brake is addicting. It's so easy to keep the car in lane.
    A trick which works to reduce sickness is not to see the fast moving items but see distant items so that everything feels still.
  4. Fiatian

Fiatian Novizio

Bangalore
    Try driving at moderate speed and avoid those sharp turns which will make passengers feel comfortable.

Moreover I have observed with few of my friends, they somehow feel uncomfortable during ghat drives no matter which car it is. I guess this is directly linked to persons comfort at height/hilly areas.
  5. I will try driving rolled down next time. Me. My wife and my son wears seat belt. My parents never wear :(

Have tried that. It helps but not for a long time.

I understand that it depends on the person's comfort but as I have mentioned, they doesn't feel the sickness in the other cars (Indica and swift). My wife after the recent the wayanad trip is very afraid of another vacations in hills :(
  6. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Not in our case. We have been to various places in the Himalayas both in our Palio and Linea, but no one has ever complained of motion sickness.

I don't think so.

Go through the following links, they might be of some help.

How to Avoid Car Sickness: 9 steps - wikiHow

Motion Sickness Prevention and Cure Tips
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    It may help only slightly for motion sickness, but its absolute must for all passengers in the car including those on rear seats for reasons well known to all of us :), especially when driving on highways or ghats . Its the driver's responsibility to make everyone wear seatbelts.

my punto never touches the highways with any passenger not wearing the seatbelt. have learn't it the hard way !!
  8. I wish my parents wear seat belts. They even tried wearing in a trip. After that they started avoiding my car and prefer Swift since I force them to wear seat belts. Later I said I lift the ban for them alone because if they travel in Swift my dad has to drive which he is finding it difficult these days.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    srida, there can be no excuse good enough for this :p . These days people drive so fast that we never know what can happen anywhere! imagine what would have happened if there were rear passengers in our fellow tfian cuty red's car not wearing seatbelts!! its our job to make people aware and convince them!
  10. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    even I exactly faced same issue with my family specifically with my mom and my grandfather, Generally my parents won't wear seat belt, I will make sure they wear while seated at front row!, but I cannot force them on rear, MY mom complained rubber smell from tyres I was generally driving fast, with windows rolled up, but after I reduced the speed rolled windows down and treated her with vomi stop tab, She could able control it, MY grandfather also vomited twice when I went for a short trip couple of weeks back, even I used to have a lot of motion sickness when I we drove from manali to Shimla, when I was seated in Indigo cab, BUt I never face it while driving, whatever type of ghat it may, I am more comfortable as a ghat driver than a passenger