1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Shampoo Washing & WAX

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nitinjd, Sep 11, 2011.

1. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today being a Saturday and i was free, so i thought let wash car myself, after lunch went to shell petrol pump picked microfiber cloth, car shampoo and also just for try a wax for shining

Started cleaning with shampoo at 2.37 pm and waited for a while to get my car dry and then applied WAX spray which got completed at 4.35 pm

Shampoo is excellent, Overall satisfy with the cleaning product, But i did not see major difference on shining part, may be my car is new. The wax spay did remove external particles on top of color. Example small black dots.

mobile pics

2011-09-10 14[1].33.12.jpg
    2011-09-10 16.31.06.jpg
    2011-09-10 16.31.40.jpg

There are lot of duplicate wax available in the market, so last week started hunting on internet and found the best wax “Collinite 845 Insulator Wax”

Check out the shinning of Alto on below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ax-i-have-encountered-collinite-845-a-14.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ax-i-have-encountered-collinite-845-a-17.html

http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/insulator-wax/
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

Good work, Nithin. Collinite is one of the best products available, and I am sure you will never be disappointed.

Do read couple of posts about how to apply Collinite properly - you should apply a very thin layer. More thicker the layer, more difficult to buff fit off.

Collinite comes in a bottle best intended for transportation, so there is no spill cap. It is better you transform the whole content of the bottle to another bottle with a spill cap for easy application.

Last but not least, please do not forget to make the wax even concentration before you start applying it.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guyz just got over with a DIY RUBBING AND WAXING JOB,

Rubbing compound = waxpol(Rs. 42/-)
    Wax = formula1(Rs. 200/-)

Time consumed = 1hr 25mins

Harmony & chaos
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

The car looks good. Some more pics under sun please :)

PS: How old is the car, Jaswin? Do you really need an abrasive such as rubbing compound?

Rubbing compound cuts of microns of paint.

Though F1 \ Trutle Hard Shell etc are ok-ok kind of waxes, try Mothers, meguires and Collinite next time. You will really see the difference.
    IMHO, unless the paint is very old, a clay bar is the best way to clean the paint.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    dude- dont spoil you new piant by using rubbing compound. the ones from 3m is very abrassive.

use a good polish like turtle wax or any other branded carnauba.
  6. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Linea - Turtle Hard Shell \ Formula 1 and other branded Carnauba are waxes, not polish.

Though both terms are used interchangeably, there is a fine difference between wax and polish.

In generally, Polish is a mild abrasive substance which will clear the paint surface of mild oxidation and smoothly micro sands the surface and gives the surface a wet, deep glow.

On the other hand, wax is a protective coating - it covers the micro pores in the paint and seals it and helps the paint to shine. A wax does not have cleaning properties, and applying a coat of wax on a non clean surface is not at all recommended because wax will seal the minor aberrations.

Though generally polishes are abrasive, there are exceptions. meguiars claims that they use a secret polishing oil and their 'pure polish' is non abrasive.

When you get the car from factory, the paint is at its impenetrable best - it is like a continuous film with no pores. As the paint comes in contact with atmosphere and the regular contamination, micro pores open up in paints and surface aberrations set in. Daily washing with out using proper techniques is another major culprit in introducing micro scratches on the paint. These micro scratches and micro pores mares the finish of the paint as time goes by.

Before we set out to wax\polish our car, first we need to was the car properly using a good car wash shampoo and need to use paint cleaners and\or clay bars depending on the paint condition. Once the surface is clean, then you can polish\wax as per your requirements. If you are resorting to use a polish, do not forget to follow it up with paint protectors such as a coat of wax - remember again - polish will make your car shine, but will not offer a protective barrier.

Once you do the whole process, use some quick detailers to keep the car shining always.

Using a rubbing compound \ hard abrasive is akin to washing your skin using surf \ Ariel or bar soaps.
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Respect ur views guys, thanks a ton for ur advices :D
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yeah but all waxes like turtle and many more act as polishes too :) all have mild abrasives.
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no such product developed as yet for an automobiles detailing (If i am not wrong) that is not abrasive in nature be it collonite, formula1, turtle wax, meguirs etc. they all have some or the other type of abrasive effects, its just that one is more abrasive than the other. In some u see it soon in the others it takes time to show up thats all
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

Yeah Jasween, have tried Formula 1, turtle, Waxpol, Veta(or was it Vesta), Eagle 1, Armour all, Simoniz, 3M, Mothers and whole lot of other products. I am putting up a thread on car detailing - please join me to share our collective knowledge.

Please check my ownership thread to see what a coat of Mothers FX Synwax can do for reflections :)

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...e-1.3-MJD-Punto-Active-(1111-km-update)/page8

If the autophysce have done proper meguire treatment, then there should not have been much aberration. only meguires cleaner\polish are mildly abrasive - all other products are not abrasive at all.

Why do you need to wash your car every day in hard water? Once do a proper detailing and then follow it up every day with a quick dust down using Jopasu and follow it by water less wash using something line ONR - you will not need water and the paint protection is much much better.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011