1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Security

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by ancientmariner, Jul 30, 2010.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys,

To answer the queries one by one:

I had picked up one in Thailand some years back. I am currently using it on my WagonR. When I bought the GP, I searched a number of shops in Delhi for this. I could not find it - they had not even heard of such a contraption!!. Then I got it from Singapore through a friend. As I remember, the rupee equivalent was about 1500/=. It will probably also be available in Malaysia, Thailand etc. It will be available in the auto section of Departmental stores.

It fits quite snugly on the wheel, but so far no problem with the leather covering of my Emo Pk wheel.

With the lock engaged, you can move the wheel slightly to the left & right, but I seriously doubt whether anyone can drive the car with this on the wheel - more so if you apply the lock after turning the steering to one side before applying the lock. In case you change the steering height, the amount of movement possible is more - I do not think it will still be possible to drive the car with the lock on.

And the bottom line guys: I do not think that any security measure is totally foolproof. It just increases your 'percentages', and perhaps improves your peace of mind.

Johnny
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Basic question, since all the cars have steering lock, isn't that sufficient?
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Good question, but as said before, each brings an additional layer and thereby increases the percentage of security.
  4. Yes true. Its basically the peace of mind one gets . I guess one can break in into a Punto/Linea and but cannot drive away even if someone takes copy of the key because of the immobiliser code chip present in the original key. Is this correct?
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I don't think these devices are hacker proof ::pP
    Electronic engine immobilizers have been around for quite some time, but those cars still get stolen, and users are now adopting GPS based tracking devices to locate stolen cars.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Its an advanced technique.. anybody seen gone in 60 seconds???? (Nicolas cage)
    In india, its not that fruitful to go those length's to steal a car.
    one steel plate in, door open > hot wire and off with the car.

Considering the Current security technology in the punto and other modern cars... our cars are quite safe and can look after them upto a certain limit.. enough for us to sleep without worry at night.
    But remember to lock your steering! I always do lock mine, whenever i park my car when traveling/for work. At home its safe so i don't. But the owners who park on the road, do lock the steering... :steering
  7. These days stereo and car theft is on the rise in my locality. A peaceful sleep is what I need :)
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I have been supplied with the codes for key and Blaupunkt HU. Without these codes, one cannot get a duplicate key made or steal the HU and activate it. Last, but not the least, Fiat cars are not in the most sought-after list of burglars as they have better, more popular and fast-moving brands to concentrate with. :mrgreen: I think, Fiat Linea/Punto are safe against burglary.
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Agree with Ashay here.. Its quite safe here.. A person who wanna steal it may do it anyways..
  10. Code for the Blaupunkt HU? I got only one code card with the electronic and mechanical code. Was there a separate card for the HU?