1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

car protection system/immobilizer failure warning

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by varunrtr, Dec 8, 2012.

1. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DSC01189.JPG

today evening, when i took the car from parking lot, it refused to start. when i looked at the console i saw this picture of the 'LOCK' warning light lit up. When i switched off n turned into mar position, the 'lock' sign flashed once n went. When i cranked again, it started fine. The same issue happened once again afterwards. When i checked the manual, it said, engine protection system failure. Has anybody experienced the same? i couldnt see any discussions in this forum on this when i searched.
  2. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    the transponder in the key is not able to communicate with the car.
    i have punto active and i have made a fiat OEM flip key for my car, so have removed the transponder from the key which came from the factory and put it into the flip one.
    now whenever i put the old key with no transponder in the ignition(while cleaning the car etc. just to listen to music and no engine power is required:p) i see the same sign on the console.
    1 person likes this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    but it refused to start when this was present, thats what panicked me at the moment !! can u check if its starting when you put the key without transponder in it? whats the probable solution, change the key(order for a new one from company?)
  4. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    It wont start without transponder buddy.. why dont you try with the extra key that came with the car?
    If thats working fine u can get the transponder cloned easily,this will save some money compared to ordering new key from fiat.
  5. joinakhil

joinakhil

New Delhi
    How old is your battery?
    I had a similar problem when the battery was running low. The car sometime refused to start or started on a long crank. I had this symbol appear even after the engine was on (quite often). Just get your battery checked. It could be coming when the battery is at the end of its life.
  6. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

+1 to joinakhil

May be a weak battery. it seems Punto and Linea shows different warnings for weak battery.

Varun, get the battery checked ASAP. did you check with service center?
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks guys, will check with service centre regarding batery after coming back from factory meet. its just 1.5 yrs old...under waranty
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Varun, my Punto too displayed such symptoms for about two months before the battery died.. So get that checked first.
  9. donzerus

donzerus Timido

Chennai
    My colleague's less than 1 year old Linea displayed the same symptoms and he got stranded many times with the car refusing to start. Eventually, the battery turned out to be the culprit.

At the time of delivery of his new car, the TAFE Reach guys had swapped out his new Exide OEM battery with an AMCO battery which had given up within a year.