1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car problem during long Travels : What then?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by zenwalker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Dear All,

Let me put forth couple of points before actually starting off with the actual topic.

1. This topic/concern was raised by my father when i proposed of going for FIAT. I did not have correct answer.
    2. I do not own any car in my life. So i am very noob in that area. So please pardon me if i sound stupid.
    3. Tried searching for this topic @ TFI, but failed. Perhaps search criteria wasnt good? May be. Sorry about that.

Since at the moment its a fact that service centers can be found in every remote corner of india for Maruti, Toyota and Hundai, though % of their SS varies but its quite a lot than other vendors AFAIK. But when it comes to FIAT, we know that SS is very less even in urban areas forget rural places.

So having said that, and considering the respected TFI members having their cars for a very long time and going to places beyond imaginable with good driving and handling experience of cars.

I do wonder what you did or could be done when one had a problem of FIAT car where ones car refuse to move apart from flat tyre, fuel empty situations.

No i do not mean to criticize FIAT or any body.
    I do not intent any body to have issues with their car.

@Mods, Apologies if this belongs to wrong category forum. Kindly move it
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

This can happen with any damn car. I have seen BMWs stranded atleast 10 times. Innovas stranded hell lot of times. Auto stranded too.

Fiats are as reliable as any other cars. If swift/ vista/ chevvys have same engine then there is no reason to exclusively think that fiat will leave you stranded.

I have taken my Linea on a 3500 kms trip and there was not even a tyre flat :)

On our forum many lineas and puntos have gone to Leh Ladakh and Rohtang passes without any problem too.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Re: FIAT car problem during long Travels! What then?

The best roadside assistance that I experienced so far is from Fiat. Also, get to know that for RSA, you may not get assistance from Fiat Service guys. Instead you will be attended by a local mechanic nearest to the place where you got stranded. Fiat has tied up with hundreds of such folks. They will try to fix or will assist to tow to the A.S.S.

Forget about the service availability of Maruti, Hyundai and Toyota. By all means have you ever heard about the Road side assistance experience from the folks who own it? My friend owning Accent CRDI got stranded on the Chennai-Bangalore NH just after sriperumbuthur at 10pm. Know what? He didn't get any sort of help from Hyundai and he spent the whole night on the road with his car. Hyundai assistance finally arrived at 8am and they towed the car to their A.S.S.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Sorry to say that, you either didnt read my complete post or may be i did not explain it properly.

Either ways, i know every car can give problems. I am not trying to blame it on FIAT. But considering the fact that SS are not present at every remote corner of this country like maruti, hundai, etc. so what if one gets stuck? Just curious to know what TO DO ;)

I honestly appreciate and happy to read that FIAT car is very reliable.

- - - Merged Post - - -

No sir, did not make a point in my first post that i do not own any car in my life so i am very noob. And nope, i never heard any body talking about getting stranded and about RSA. See if you can give me more insight about it. Yes i had heard about it by SA when called FIAT showrooms.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. Well when you buy a car(any car for that matter) being a machine you should be prepared that it can fail anytime/anywhere...
    In my old punto petrol, the clutch cylinder failed on a trip to the countryside, RSA in those days didnt come free with the car.We even didnt bother to go for it, so when RSA was contacted they quoted 5k for towing service, my uncle did a juggad method got a metal casing fitted and brought it to the SC and got it changed under warranty...
    After I met with an accident in my swift I got it to the nearest garage and the strut bar was bent beyond repairing so went to the nearest city got a new strut bar and car was good to go by evening..for brands like maruti their spares are easily available off the shelf..
    But when you buy a new car chances of car failing mid-way is very very less..Fiat cars are very reliable in that matter, the problems have been rectified in the new cars...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    sdp1975 and venka like this.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Then let me share my experience. I was working in a rural part of Haryana and once I had a low battery charge. The car did not start. To add to my woes, I had lowered the driver side window as well. It was already 8pm. Now I can't leave the car at that place either because the window was open.

There is no service center for FIAT in the entire district. The nearest service center was in Hisar, Haryana. I called RSA at 8:10pm and by 8:30pm IIRC, the technician was at my spot and jump started my car.

I could not expect more from FIAT. 10/10 for the RSA support I got that night.

The technician told me that he was the SA of a local Hyundai dealership and they have a tie up for providing RSA in that district.
    9 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

Fiat centers are more in number like any other brand.
    For example If I drive from Goa to Pune I have
    1. Goa
    2. Belgaum(Which will take care of North goa and also Maharashtra border like Ambolim)
    2. Kolhapur
    4. Satara
    5. Pune

Goa to Pune is 434kms 5 service centers can be accessible in between. Along with the excellent RSA is it look bad?
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I frankly did not know RSA is that good or helpful in FIAT or in other words, FIAT have tied up with so many RSA providers. Good to know that.

Honestly, i actually told this point (FIAT provides RSA) to my father when he asked me what if it fails in remote places. He asked me do you think RSA is that effective? Well i did not have an answer that day, but thanks now i do :)
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Slightly OT - That is the worst SC you could ever drop your car in Sun. We had been there whilst our trip to Pune and we wasted 1 hour running behind these nut cases. I'm wondering how are they actually servicing the existing Fiat cars, absolutely no respect at all.
  10. sungoa2010

Once I met a owner in TASS goa and he told the opposite thing. He takes the car to Kolhapur as there are some very good mechanic and they are good in troubleshooting.
    I can assure you that you will loose min two hour if it were Goa SC:)