1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Jerks when I shift the gear

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kumar2005, Dec 16, 2015.

1. kumar2005

kumar2005 Timido

Bangalore,Erode
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,

Not sure whether I can post this thread here!!. I bought Punto 1.3 MJD last month - and this is my first car and I'm learning the driving. I have following queries.

1) Whenever I swift the gear (especially 2nd&3rd gear), I feel a jerk in my car. I know this issue is with my driving & Clutch and accelerator balance is not good. I feel this jerk mostly in traffic signal- whenever I start the car in 1st gear after green signal - i need to accelerate and also need to shift the gear from 1st to 2nd ( Mostly i shift the gear at 2000rpm - 2500 rpm)

2)Always should I apply break & clutch together - In traffic conditions?

3) Please give some tips for getting better FE

Thanks in Advance
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hello,
    Yours sound like the learners usual issues. It appears that you are learning driving with your own first car. If so, it is avoidable, rather a bad move. If you haven't taken driving lessons from a proper driving school, like Maruti's, you can still do that, if possible, seriously! It is good for both, you and your car. Pardon me for writing the obvious that others may have already told.

Now for the present issue, I suggest you take help of a friend, who knows driving well, to drive your car and check if the problem is in the car. Most likely, it is due to lack of practice and that will go with time.

From our experience of learning at a proper driving school (each of our family of 4) and the way most people learn with the help of father, friends in school grounds and colony roads etc., I can say that good driving is also like any other sport, if you learn it the wrong way, it is difficult to unlearn that and learn correctly.

Pardon my lecture, but its passion for proper driving!

Congratulations for your prized possession!

Ravi_M
    asimpleson likes this.
  3. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I believe, you must have learned the driving on a petrol vehicle. Driving a diesel is very much different. There are many thread(s) around multiple forum(s), on how to drive a diesel vehicle.
    Also, regarding breaking; please read about engine breaking. As you are new to driving, i would recommend to try on open roads, with minimal traffic and/or in non-peak hours.
    I had been driving petrol cars for 15 years, and i'm still getting used to drive a diesel vehicle.

If you have access to an old vehicle, we suggest you to practice on that, rather on a new car. (Your car would thank you for this, and would pay off in long term)

Or join in, for any meet. There are plenty of people to guide you. It's great opportunity to learn more about cars

Very wise words there.
    Though my wife and sis had learnt from driving school, but honestly, they just teach you how to drive a car from point A to point B (Even a monkey does that in circus). No offence to anybody, but these driving school, dont teach you how to be a good driver.

Few times, when I accompanied my wife for her driving classes, i observed, these guy don't indulge in training on basic driving style (rather they rush you to be able to drive in all gears asap). I had often, cross questioned the trainer, and he never was able to defend his wrong teaching (rather he was unaware, that they were incorrect teaching)
    e.g. engine breaking; appropriate lane (especially at a roundabout, or lane merging), high beam vs low beam are the key mistake(s) i corrected of his.

Fortunately, I was able to teach good driving practice (to my wife)before she could pick up the bad ones.

There is a thread in T-BHP (how to spot a bad driver). Read that thread multiple times, and do not do, whatever qualifies to be a bad driver. It would help you learn better. (Never think of, "this i can fix anytime or will do it later". Adapt to correct driving technique from Day1)

TIP: Develop a defensive driving style, than an aggressive one. Be patient & considerate to fellow road user. Driving is a privilege (not right) and treat it same
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @metal_heart, I agree with what you mentioned. However, my experience with maruti driving school was good. They teach about lane discipline, various signs, including road dividing lines and teach on a simulator machine. It may vary from one to another school. I appreciate your passion and concern for proper driving. In fact proper driving must be a culture and this can save thousands of lives on Indian roads.
  5. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Probably, because i'm referring to the other/regular driving school. Have closely seen 4-5 and none of them are competent enough. They just teach you to move the vehicle from A to B
    Thanks. Yes, it indeed should be cultured in. Every parent should teach to his/her child.

The little practice I follow (as my wife is still under my supervision of driving classes :D). Whenever I see a bad driver or a bad move on road, I show her that and also, tell her, what would have been a correct way to do (especially people shifting lanes at traffic signal and queuing up in wrong lane and causing congestion). I also, repeat verbally (with demo while driving, when i'm driving), how the particular movement (either lane change, gear change, overtake) should be done (its benefit and dis-advantage, if not done correctly)

Though she still isn't able to follow all in practice, but i'm happy she know 'theoretically' how to drive sensibly and one day (for sure) would turn out to be a good driver.
  6. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    I learnt driving with the help of some good driver friends. They always said " Do not Panic and make sure all your actions during the drive are smooth and not abrupt ( Gear change, clutch release, braking and accelerating)
  7. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    My 2 bits based on my 2.5 years driving experience of Linea MJD which is also my first car.

1. Always shift gear in the 1400 - 1600 rpm range. I remember a booklet I received with my new car that said the your should upshift at 10 kmph (to second gear), 20 kmph(to third gear), 30 kmph(to fourth gear) and 40 kmph (to fifth gear). This works very well assuming you are driving on a flat road.
    If you drive upto 2000 - 2500 rpm and then upshift, the car will suddenly "break free" in the upper gear and give you a jerk.

You do the exact opposite when slowing down. The gear shift points remain the same. If you are slowing down from 60 (in 5th gear), apply gentle brake, you will notice a slight shuddering when you reach 40 --> 35, now shift to 4th and so on. You will learn this as you drive more.

2. Don't apply brake and clutch togather always. 2nd gear is best for traffic conditions. Simply apply gentle brakes when needed and downshift only if you hear the shudder of the engine. If the traffic is slightly less, use 3rd gear and so on...

Hope this helps.
  8. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I tend to disagree here.
    This is incorrect way of driving a Diesel engine. Diesel engine(s) are supposed to be driven in power band, and gear shifts to be done in peak power band(s). What you are doing is, lugging the engine. It may give you a better FE, but isn't healthy for car's health.

This practice is only good for petrol car, but not for a diesel engine, especially for MJD, whose turbo kick(s) in; at that range. Also never dump the clutch in Diesel(s), unlike petrol(s), it would always give you a jerk(ing) feeling.

This also helps in reducing inherent lag behavior of turbo diesel(s)
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  9. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Ok Noted. Can you please tell me how the engine's health is affected? If that is the case, should we upshift to 5th only after 60-70 kmph when the 4th gear is making the engine spin at 2000+ rpm?
  10. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    What does lugging do?
    Lugging means the engine is unable to push down on the pistons because of unrealistically high load placed. This can lead to incomplete combustion, increased emissions, WORSE mileage, detonation and carbon deposits in your engine.

Lugging affects the engine, as you are operating the engine on a RPM range below, where it actually makes power. In other words, the pressure to operate is at highest, while because of low RPM, the oil pressure is much lower. Hence a lot of mechanical stress is generated.

Few Tips for Driving Diesel.
    - Turbo idling before/after starting/stopping
    - Don't Redline. Diesel doesn't love to be red-lined (continuously)
    - Drive in power band (Change gear in peak power band)
    - Don't push the accelerator, if you are in turbo-lag
    - Rev to 3k & above in 2nd/3rd once a while (for few seconds)

(Please correct me, if i'm wrong. I'm no expert, and expert suggestion/correction are welcomed)

Yes, Its better to drive in 4th @2k RPM, rather than in 5th in below 2k. My Linea does 80 in 2k RPM. I have never slotted fifth in city
    mangeshtendulkar and gpunto75 like this.