1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car gasping for breath

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Jun 16, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Today I had to go to the airport and since it had been a long tune before I stretched my punto legs, I gunned it but started to see something I never felt so far.
    In 5thgear at 3000-3500 rpm I felt a sudden pause in power and when I pressed harder I saw that rpm needle started to pulsate at 3200 it never went beyond that.

Things I have replaced so far
    Oil filter
    Fuel filter (both are just a few 1000km old)
    Oil is 11k old using MD 1

Note it's been a while since I cleaned the air filter.

I'm now worried that there could be a fuel pump issue.
    Is that the case?

I have not witnessed any harshness or drop in mileage or drop in pickup.
    Even today until I reached 3000 in 5th gear everything felt fine only.
    Even in lower gears I was easily able to hit 4200.
    Only in 5th I felt this gasping behavior.
    Please help asi will be heading on a long drive this weekend and want to know if I should take my car

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    minor update.
    I dusted the air filter (by just banging it against the wall) to my surprise there was hardly any dust collected in it.
    Now i'm seriously worried guys. Please assist asap
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Do you have access to OBD Scanner, take fuel pressure reading from that (Desired normal range is shown for respective rpm and speed as Desired Fuel Pressure in Fiat ECU Scan) apart from that its very difficult to judge if fuel pump is ok or not, also check EGR duty cycle and was there any smoke from tail when car was gasping.
    First try changing Air filter and check fuel quality too.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Shyam,

Did you try System D once? what was your RPM in 4 th gear when a did change to 5th ? With the current map you have in your car , you need to hold the RPM slightly higher in 3 and 4 and shift quickly to reach 4000 RPM.Even in my car if I accelerate sedately it will struggle in 5th gear to reach beyond 3500 RPM.

Sat
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I dont have the scanner but will try to source it from someone and try. But my question is would this be such a big thing that i should cancel my trip this weekend?

I was too busy trying to figure out what was going on that I didn't notice the smoke But my guess is that there was no black smoke as today while i drove to the office I gunned the engine in 4th gear and couldn't find black smoke.

Air filter is relatively new, done just about 3-4k I cleaned it today morning only to find that there was hardly any dust in it
    Fuel is something I will look into . I usually stick to just 1 bunk but offlate i'm trying another bunk near my place and there has been at least 4-5 consecutive fills from this new place and this is the first time I took it out on a hard drive so may be i hadn't noticed the problem and just kept on filling it . I will revert to my old bunk.

Do you think small addition of system D might help me?

- - - Merged Post - - -

hmm this is something new and a bit comforting .
    I changed from 4th to 5th at 2500 RPM once, I also changed at 3500 to 5th a few times.
    But here is the thing. If i hold 4th then I can take the car all the way up to 4200, i tried that. But when i shift to 5th I was not able to .

Secondly even in 3rd gear I was easily able to hit 4200.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sat, I will add system D when i refill this time (And mostly its going to be a highway drive with system D) . I will be driving out on thursday. Hopefully i dont have to call the RSA ;-)
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    A couple of tanks of with System D would clear your problem.

Abdul
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks will buy it today itself and use it for a while from my next tank full.

Is system D better or STP ?
    Mods : Please keep this thread open for a while. I would like to update the status after the system D usage
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    ABRO Diesel injector cleaner is better than both System D and STP. System D would take 4-5 tanks to clean but ABRO would clean all mess in one shot.
  9. That is great information Vijay, Sham call up JK automobiles , I have seen him stocking ABRO range of products.
    If you are at home come over , i have system D with me.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    No Sat, I'm at office.
    Sat can you please send me JK's number. I will call them up right away.

Thanks a lot Vijay for your help

Sat, btw just saw JK has his own website now
    www.jkautomobiles.in/