1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Flood Wrecked in Chennai

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Janarthana S K, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Janarthana S K

Janarthana S K Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,

My Car was caught in the recent floods in Chennai and it was almost completely submerged (till the full tail light level) in water. I have New India Assurance and they came for the survey today and mentioned they will pay only 50% for the spares change. I am currently very confused and don't know how to proceed further.

My car is only 3 months old (Punto Evo Emotion 75 HP).

1. Want to know if will get my car back in the same condition as it was before.
    2. Also I am not sure how much I will have to spend out of my pocket for this. Is there anyway I can minimize this amount as much as possible.

Your expert advice is needed.

TIA
    Janarthana S K
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  2. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Really Unfortunate Happened to your Brand New car. I have no idea about the insurance part but i have read this news two days before.

http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/7...hes-out-to-flood-affected-cars-in-chennai.htm

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is also mobilizing additional dealer manpower from nearby states to expedite the repairs so that customers get back their vehicles at the earliest. Further, we will also share the costs on the genuine parts replaced in the flood affected cars post the insurance support. We are committed to providing world class services to our customers and we are ensuring that all the necessary steps are taken to help the Fiat owners in Chennai.
    Turbothinghy and gklc811 like this.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Tough situation to be in, especially with nature's fury.
    What is your insurance coverage? Do you have bumper to bumper add on comprehensive insurance?
  4. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Sad to hear about it.
    Short answer, NO.
    Flood damaged car(s) are generally advised for total loss. All issue, may or may not be visible thru naked eye, and may not crop up immediately. There may be endless woes to electrical issue(s), fungus and Rust (which would start acting sooner or later). Even if, you ensure, everything is replaced and/or repaired, the bill may not be justified. (Plus, always a fear; back of mind; for reliability). Also, the cost may not be one time, the continual issue(s) that may crop up, would drain you of time, money, energy and definitely; the attachment with the car.

e.g. (God forbidden, it may happen). Airbag sensor, may fail (or got kaput in flood damage); and may not work when needed. Is there a way, you would be able to test it.

Yours is pretty new car, and damage & problem arising from it (if repaired) later, would snatch the charm of owning a new vehicle. Most insurance companies have denied any claim and many have advised as total loss. A lot of thread have been active across internet, as many people have suffered from this nature's wrath. I suggest you to read all of those; to get better understanding of this.

Emotionally, it a difficult decision to take, I can only advise to take a practical approach in this case
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 17, 2015 ---
    Get in touch with your insurance company, they would advice total loss, if repair cost is more than 75% of IDV. If they do insist to get it repaired, make sure you take extended warranty on the car (post repair)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Hi Janarthana,

As far as I know the cars which had been flooded even up to the bonnet level are given total loss. No way your fully submerged car can be repaired as the repair estimate will be much more than a new car itself.

Please go for total loss and get the full IDV value.
  6. varadharajan

varadharajan Timido

chennai
    My t-jet got submerged too at bonnet level but thankfully no water has entered the engine. Given the volume of claims, a lot of insurnace companies are not giving out total loss but are suggesting repairs instead to lessen the burden. However, much as I hate to say it, it looks like getting a total loss is going to be nigh impossible given the sheer volumes of cars totalled and the fact that insurance companies will pay only after these cars are auctioned to scrap dealers - scrap car prices have fallen 50% because of this volume and this is an unique, once in a life time situation where volumes are so high that no one wants to pay IDV and are instead asking for a settlement - where they pay Rs. 1 -2 lakhs and are asking us to get this settled outside. you can of course contest this in an insurance ombudsman but it will take you 6-24 months to resolve this until which your car will be literally gathering dust.

seems a difficult time ahead - I wanted to claim IDV but they said they will pay only 50 % and after the car is auctioned which is at least 3 months away - so I have agreed for a repair where their liability is capped at 75% IDV. I have no visibility if it can be done at all but then this is what it is.
  7. Janarthana S K

Janarthana S K Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all the responses. Car is currently in Ramkay Fiat and they have given a repair estimate of over 8 lakhs (which is over the price of the car itself). Insurance company hasn't responded back yet.

I am not sure what type of insurance I have. I just got the default insurance (New India Assurance) that Ramkay Fiat had given when I purchased the car. How can I find out whether it it bumper to bumper or comprehensive? Also is there a way to download the policy document?

@varadharajan, What insurance do you have?

Thanks.
  8. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Hi!

Generally while buying the car, dealer won't provide us the Bumper to Bumper insurance.It should be a comprehensive one.

So, best and better chance should be to go with total loss of vehicle and get the maximum amount the insurance is paying!

You can't feel the originality of the vehicle even if all the parts are replaced newly!

Hard decision with brand new car but it may be a smart decision!

Try to speak with the Insurance person and make it clear to go with Total loss.

Since your car is fully submerged, definitely you will get Total loss.

If possible, go to Ramkay Fiat around 10 am and wait for evaluator of your insurance company to visit, try to get a rough and better idea from him.
  9. Janarthana S K

Janarthana S K Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    one more thing, in case of a total loss will i get the full IDV value? What can I do to get the maximum from the insurance company?

@varadharajan One thing I am not able to understand from your post. You said they will pay only 50% of IDV in case of a "total loss". If they are not ready to pay 50% of IDV, how will they be ready to pay up to 75% of IDV for repair?
  10. Janarthana S K

Janarthana S K Timido

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,
    I went to the surveyor office and talked to them today. He said mine is not a zero depreciation policy and so their repair liability may not go over 75% (as according to him their liability is only 50% for electronic and plastic spares) and hence they will not declare total loss.

The options they gave to me were

1. Take 50% - 60 % of the IDV value (7.15 L) and keep the car - this comes to 3.6 to 4.3L
    2. Go with the repair based on the estimates in which case they will bear up to 5-5.5L and I will have to bear the remaining (2.5- 3L).

Based on these options what can i do?
    Going ahead with repair and bearing almost 3L is not economically feasible for me and more over not sure if the car will be perfectly OK. So that kind of rules out the repair option

2. See if I can push the insurance company to declare total loss. Not sure if this is possible. One question here - I have been talking to the surveyor and not directly to the insurance company. And all these details are given by the surveyor. I am wondering why he is acting like a middle man. Somebody please clarify this.

3. Take the money (50-60%) and
    a. Check if I get good Exchange value for my flood wrecked car while purchasing a new car.
    b. Selling my car as a salvaged car in the market. I have no idea about this.
    c. Use the money to repair the car by an outside mechanic. Not sure if i can find any reliable mechanic.

Your advice is needed as I am very much confused.

Thanks
    Janarthana S K