1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Electric start VS 2 wheeler's start

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by theblack, Aug 5, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm sure all of us who have owned a 2 wheeler in the past with an electric start have been told time and again from the service center folks all the way to pretty much everyone else on the road that the first crank of the day should never be a button start but it should be kicked .

The reason given was also satisfactory until i started using my car. They say the 'battery dies' faster if the first crank is a button start.
    Such be the case our 4 wheelers should have a very short battery life but contrarily the 2 wheeler battery dies out faster as i've observed!!

Now which one here is true?
    Isn't the crank system the same in 2/4wheelers? (may be the size of things might be more but the underlying idea is the same)
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Apples to Oranges comparison really.

Starting up a carburetted bike engine like the majority of our Indian 2 wheelers is more taxing for the starter than firing up a EFI engine. Especially in the mornings when the engine is cold + relatively harder to turn over - thereby putting more stress on the starter. Once the carburetted engine is warmed up, it starts up easier. Just the peculiarities of a carburetted engine.

Modern bikes which come with EFI do not suffer this drawback and can do away with the kickstarter totally. The ECU will provide a perfect enrichment for the dead cold or warm engine enabling an instant startup.

Car batteries and starters are tough components built for frequent use. So use without worries. I'd expect atleast 6-7 years of use before the carbon brushes in the starter start to wear out. The brushes replacement isn't a major task either.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.