1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Detailing -let us share our wash\wax\polish related knowledge here

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by anoop, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anoop

anoop Superiore

Wax or Polish? What is in a name?

Though both terms are used interchangeably, there is a fine difference between wax and polish.

In generally, Polish is a mild abrasive substance which will clear the paint surface of mild oxidation and smoothly micro sands the surface and gives the surface a wet, deep glow.

On the other hand, wax is a protective coating - it covers the micro pores in the paint and seals it and helps the paint to shine. A wax does not have cleaning properties, and applying a coat of wax on a non clean surface is not at all recommended because wax will seal the minor aberrations.

Though generally polishes are abrasive, there are exceptions. meguiars claims that they use a secret polishing oil and their 'pure polish' is non abrasive.
    Raaz likes this.
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

Thanks for the link, Cinju. good to know that you find these posts of good use. Those videos are good reference points.

I should have added a statutory warning too - this topic can be addictive and can be injurious to your wallet :D

Taking a break now - rest of the stuff, I will post mostly on Monday.
    rajks likes this.
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Excellent Contribution, anoop.

However, we already have the same thread & it would be better to continue discussion on that thread for convenience of the members.

I've copied all posts from this thread on that thread & posted link of this anoop's contribution in the 1st post of that thread. Please continue discussion here -->> http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?53-Diy-car-care/page14
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.